13.) Gorgeous (And Other Words)

Y/N || The Golden Guard

People are in and out of the castle with different party stuff. Chairs and tables are floating around any volunteers from the covens. Kiki decided they all needed to be rearranged an hour before the party. I rush past all the people because I haven't even started getting ready.

Things get quieter as I head towards the rooms. Music plays loudly from people listening while getting ready. I reach my room and open the door quickly before shutting it behind me. I haven't been here all day, I've been at the Owl House. The door to Hunter's room is slightly open and I can hear shuffling inside. I shut it and lock it so I can actually start to get ready.

We all have to wear our coven colors so they can tell who we are. But we didn't even get to pick our own outfits. I put on the dress I was assigned, pale gold with a skirt that flows nicely. The long sleeves are the slightest bit sheer, different from the actual dress. I feel like a fucking minion.

It makes my new hair look nice though. But I do have to hide my ears for tonight which is fine. I take thirty more minutes to make everything look alright. Even though I'm already sweating and anxious. I keep wiping my palms on my skirt because I'm so nervous. This is the worst thing that could've happened today. I stand up and take a look at myself. I look like I just walked out of Bridgerton. I should probably stop with the references no one will understand.

"Are you ready to head down?" Hunter asks from the other side of the door.

"Mhm, all ready," I answer and unlock the door.

I open the door to see him standing there looking more nervous than I've ever seen him. He wears a fitted black suit with gold accents to match me. His hair could probably pass as coven propaganda.

"Um, it's time to go. The guests will be arriving soon." He says before swallowing nervously.

"Okay." I nod and enter his room, shutting the door behind me.

"I'm sorry, again." He says quietly.

"It's fine." I brush it off.

"No, seriously. I don't know why I say such stupid things around you. I know I deny it but you are my best friend. That's why I keep this bracelet on, look!" He rants and lifts his sleeve so I can see. "You've won me over in every sense of the word. I don't want to just awkwardly stand by your side tonight, I want to...talk to you, I guess. I miss talking to you. I'm really sorry."

"You don't have to apologize. I mean, you were right about everything you said. I just didn't want to hear it. I'm a liability for you, for the coven, and everyone. God, even for Luz. And don't try to disagree, let's just move on. I still don't want to talk about it." I say as I stand right in front of his door with my hand on the handle. I push it open and he follows silently behind me.

We walk down the hallways together and eventually form a group with the coven heads. Only because we're all headed to the same area. The ballroom is decked out nicely with all of the arrangements for us perfect. Kikimora taps her foot anxiously in the middle of the room as we all make our way in.

Ten regal thrones sit in a line at the front of the room with a larger one behind it. Mine and Hunter's is obviously larger and they expect us to share it. Some junk about looking united. I guess it's a good thing we're speaking. Kikimora still looks like she's gonna pass out once we're all sitting down.

"Alright, can we get started now?" She asks and receives nods from everyone. "People from your covens and others will enter and greet you. You may decline anyone if you'd like. After that, the guests will begin dancing and mingling."