20.) Wouldn't It Be Nice?

Hunter || The Golden Guard

She convinced me to go back to the Owl House at least for tonight. I agreed as long as Luz or Eda don't know about it. So, I lay beside them in the new room the Owl Lady is letting them stay in. My arms are wrapped around her while her head leans on my chest. One of her hands gently grips my shirt and my heart is pounding. It's about three in the morning now and neither of us can sleep.

My eyes haven't closed this whole time and neither have hers. She can't see my eyes from her head being low but I can see theirs. They look beautiful, the most beautiful person I've ever seen. And she's the only calm in this storm. She's my good. I love laying with them like this and what makes it better is the rain. I'm not scared anymore and not just because Y/N's here. That definitely helps though. But it doesn't help because I'm more scared of Belos and what he's gonna do if he finds me.

"I can't sleep," I say quietly and she looks up at me.

"Me either." She says before taking a deep breath.

"That was...scary," I tell her.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" They ask and I don't have an answer for a moment.

"Kind of. I'm scared and I can't help it. I don't want him to hurt me or anyone else I care about. He was never gonna let me live. Even if I was perfect, did everything he asked, and never questioned him. That's why he gave me a sigil." I show her my wrist. "Someone who really loved me wouldn't do that. And I've been having these...dreams."

"Dreams?"

"Okay, I wasn't sure if I wanted to tell you. Because I don't want you to see me differently." I start and suddenly feel the tears start to pool up again. Titan, I hate thinking about it let alone talking about it. I don't want her to look at me differently than she does now. "I'm...I'm a Grimwalker. Which means I'm a clone of someone Belos made disappear. And I'm pretty sure it's his brother, Caleb. I've been having these dreams for a few months now where I'm Caleb. And I've been feeling his feelings and hearing his thoughts in these dreams too. And I didn't want to tell you because now there's basically no chance that I'll be with you."

"Hunter-"

"No, it's okay. I understand that telling you that gives up any chance of being with you. Because I'm not my own person, I'm just a worse version of Caleb. Why would anyone want that? Why would you want that? And I don't want you to worry. But like I said, I like you so much." I admit and she takes my hand which I now realize is still gloved.

"You are your own person, Hunter. And I really like that person, I like you. I don't know who Caleb is, I only know Hunter. Hunter is sweet and a little nerdy." She starts with a small laugh and it makes me smile despite the tears falling. "I like when Hunter holds my hand and when he kisses me. I like how Hunter laughs and the way he makes me feel. I like when Hunter's hair gets messy and his smile when he gets any kind of praise. I like how he always apologizes after stepping on my feet when we're dancing, sometimes on purpose. I like how Hunter pretended to hate me for so long even when we both knew he didn't. How Hunter showed me a spot with a good view of the ocean just because he knew I love the sea. And especially how cute Hunter is when he talks about an interest. Who the hell is Caleb?"

"But I look like him." I shakily tell her.

"I'm sure you don't look exactly like him. And either way, do you know how old Caleb probably is? He would definitely talk Bridgerton at me. I wouldn't be able to stand him. No, man, I do not need an escort to the horse races." She says and makes me laugh again. "I like you so much. I think about you all the time and you make me happier than I ever was at home. I want to be with you."

"You do?" I ask and my heart yearns for her more than it already did.

"Yes, more than anything." She smiles and cups my cheek. Titan, I love when they do that. "Do you wanna go out with me?"