28- French Toast

"What happened?" I asked

Simon's been pacing the living room since we got here, and Rowan refuses to come out of his room.

"It was hours after he got back from the trip and he was rambling to me about asking your friend to be his girlfriend, and then the doorbell ranged and he answered. It was our father, he just got out on good behavior, and he pushed through the door knocking down Row and he starts yelling at him.
I forced him out the house but Rowan never stood up. He just stared at the door and his breathing was off, I tried to help him up but he flinched and ran up stairs." Simon ran a hand through his hair, "He's been upstairs for half an hour."

"I don't get why they didn't tell us he was out." Simon saids frustratedly.

Me and August shared a glance as Simon continues to pace around the room. I felt sorrowful for Rowan. He hasn't seen that man for five years, he was happy, and then his abuser shows up on his porch taking away any happiness he worked so hard for.

I get up from the couch walking upstairs to Rowan's room. I knock on the wooden door and I wait to hear a reply, or even the smallest noise.

"Row? You there?" I call, softly.

There a moment of silence before a small knock could be heard on the other side of the door.

Before I could say anything the sound of the front door opening and closing, and was followed by a voice with mild French accent, "Sorry, I'm late."

I go back downstairs where Akari was standing next to the couch with a brown bag of food and drink in hand.

"Did you get food on your way here?" I asked raising my brows.

"Yes, but it not for me. Now where's blondie?" She asked.

I point upstairs and she seems like she gotten handle as she walked up the steps with the bag of food and drink.

Simon starts to trudge after her but I stop him, grabbing his wrist, "Just let her."

He looks at me uncertain then up the steps where Akari left before snatching his wrist of my hold, and reluctantly went back pacing around the room.

I let out a sigh flopping on the couch.