35- Nothing

"I'm telling my wife on you

"I'm telling my wife on you." My dad grumbles as he carries bags of groceries in his hands walking through the front door.

I let my arms hang by my side weighted by the last bags of groceries as I follow him into the house, "Wow, how mature of you."

"Darling you won't believe what your spawn just called me." He exasperates trudging to the kitchen and placing the bags on the counter.

I catch my mom rolling her eyes as I step into the living room, "My spawn?"

"She called me old! Can you believe that? Absolutely disrespectful." He exaggerates glaring at me as he walks to the couch to seek comfort from his wife.

That was when I notice my boyfriend sitting on the other side of the couch and I smile giving him a quick kiss on the cheek, while my father was too distracted trying to get my mom to punish me. I go to the kitchen to put away the groceries feeling a pair of eyes on me the whole time. It was a quick task since we didn't get much just the simple things: eggs, water, cheese, peaches, and maybe a candy bar or two.

I return to the living room and I knew something was up. August always tries to make eye contact with me, he loves it, but he kept his eyes trained on the glass of water in front of him. It was strange.

My dad whispers something to my mom making her grin as she turns to me playfully rolling her eyes, "Delani, you can't disrespect your father." She solemnly but I saw the amusement and humor gleaming in her eyes as she puts on an act.

"Yeah, don't be an ass." My dad chimes in.

I stifle a laugh at dad's words as my mom turns to glare at my dad, "Don't call my daughter an ass."

My dad chuckles bending down and kissing my her forehead, "I love you, darling. You and your spawn." He narrows his eyes at me.

My mom puts her hand over my dads chest as she rises from the couch, "Come on, honey. Let's go watch that cooking show you like." Before leaving she glances at August sending me a nod who it a encouraging smile. They disappear down the hall and into their room.

I stand behind August as he sits on the couch, he has yet to look at me so I cup my hand under his chin leaning his head back until his eyes met mine.

"Hey pretty girl." His voice croaks as my eyes scan his face, mostly his eyes.

His beautiful colored irises were surrounded by red, and there was a puffiness under his eyes.

"What happened?" I ask softly, and a sheen of caged tears gloss over his waterline.

I love that August isn't afraid to show his emotions, that he lets me in, but I hate seeing him cry. He has the purest heart, even when he gets suspended or detention most of the time whatever he's done he did it for those he cares about; even if some were a little too extreme. Poor Hendrix.