chapter 7: superstar

It's a very busy day at the lab. It’s moments like this I love about my job; when there’s noticeable progress. And as much as I love it, it was almost overwhelming and intimidating. Coming from small town in White Oak, I was the main character. I can say I’m the smartest person to ever come out of that city and I wouldn’t be wrong.
  Even while I was at Princeton, I was easily top three most intelligent during my time but coming here to England, I’ve been humbled. I am not as intelligent as I thought I was. Everybody here is intelligent. Everyone knows what they are doing but there are others who are high up in the ladder and I am not part of that group.
   Take Azizul from Singapore for instance. Azizul intimidates me more than anyone here. He graduated Harvard at 19 and went on to get other degrees at the top universities in his country. He is the type of person that’s friendly with everyone. He goes around making friends and all that kumbayah shit. It’s not a bad thing. He’s just trying to make friends, unlike me.
   You’d think his ‘let us get along like one big happy family’ activity would affect his performance but false, he is the only person that has made any remarkable progress since we all arrived two weeks ago. And I would be lying if I said that didn’t piss me off.
B  “Whatcha doing?” The voice and presence appears so suddenly next to me that I jump five feet in the air almost knocking off the microscope I had my face buried in off the table.
“Fuck”. I turn to face the person, ready to give them the piece of my mind until I see who it is.
“Spencer”
Spencer smiles at me. I smile back.
      Who is Spencer? Spencer is my friend. Well, she is the first person I can proudly say is my friend here. She’s one of the two British scientists here. You’d think because England was hosting us, there would be more English scientists but no, I have to give that to the Chinese. Six of them came, about a quarter of us all.
Back to Spencer, Spencer is different. In a company full of nerds - I included- in every sense of the word, Spencer is the sore thumb. Not only does she not look like a nerd, she doesn’t dress like one either. Like Azizul, she can do whatever she wants and still come out on top which made her the team leader. I may also have a tiny crush on her but that’s beside the point.
  “Did I startle you? Sorry” She winces.
“No, no it’s fine”
She’s also seven years older than me and treats me like a older sister would treat her younger  brother but my mind has decided this is who I’m going to crush. She also happens to my first crush in ages.
“You’ve been on it for hours, haven’t you? And before you deny it, I know you have. Did you even have lunch?”
See, like she’s my older sister.
“I did, I ate”
“I said lunch.” She shakes her head at me. “You don’t have to work so hard, you know? I mean you should but not the way you are. You’re going to wear yourself out. And I know because you’re the youngest here, you feel like you need to prove yourself. You’re here and you’re the youngest, that’s proof enough”
Okay. I don’t think my working habits warranted that pep talk. Alright, maybe it did. I know I have to slow down. My body knows I have to slow down.
“Thank you”
She smiles at and rubs my hair fondly. Gosh, I’m going to commit mass murder.
“So, a group of us except Viv are going to hang out in an hour and you are coming with us”
Hang out? But we have work.
“We can’t just leave. We have work”
“It’s after work hours, Victor. That’s why I came to get you”
“Oh.” I didn’t know time had passed that fast.
“So, will you come with us? We’re going to that Korean restaurant down the street. We’ll grab a bite and some alcohol. What do you say?”
“Oh I would love to but I don’t drink. I’m not legal yet”
So I love to follow the law, sue me. I did say I’m a nerd.
“Yes, you can love. You’re in England now, remember”
“Oh, but-”
“If you don’t want to, it’s fine. Azizul won’t either. But I don’t want no for an answer. Last week, you didn’t attend that brunch either. You must this one”
I don’t know. I know I have to make efforts to be more sociable but I am not a social person and I am often misunderstood and come off as rude.
“I can see the wheels turning. Just come along. If you hate it, I’ll make up an excuse for you. Don’t worry”
How can I ever say no to her? It’s giving mommy issues.
          We clink our beer glasses - except Azizul who opts for Pepsi- together saying cheers. It takes me a minute to realize Azizul doesn’t take alcohol because of his religion and I feel dumb. I pull back and take a sip. Ugh. I have tasted beer before obviously, but it is still as nasty as ever. Spencer was right. Everyone is here, except Viv from Canada. Twenty three people. We have two tables joined together to accommodate everyone.
“It’s good to have you here, Victor”, Azizul - of course it’s Azizul- says looking in my direction. He is seated at the other side of the table, not directly in front of me but next to Yuan from China who sits in front of me. He puts me on edge as much as he intimidates me.
“I know, right? We all expected you at the brunch last week”, Ross from USA says. Ross wants to be friends with me at all cost. He’s the other person from the States and thinks because I’m also American, we’re supposed to be friends or brothers in Christ. I beg to differ.
I offer a smile to them in response then add a ‘thanks’ in case the smile wasn’t enough.
  “We’ve had a successful two weeks, guys. We should be proud of ourselves”, Spencer says this time. I wouldn’t call it successful. Or maybe I am being delusional. For decades, centuries even, medical practitioners have striving to find a cure for cancer and their efforts have proved abortive. I don’t know why I think our team will suddenly be the super heroes that find a cure two weeks in. Everybody else agrees with Spencer and I’m just getting ahead of myself.
“So, Victor,” Azizul starts again and the attention is back on me. Does he do this on purpose?
“Last week, when you were not here, we all gave little introductions about ourselves and now it’s your turn.”
I am too stunned to speak for a few seconds. Everybody’s eyes are on me now and I can’t say ‘no thank you’ and confirm that the rumors are true; I’m a very rude person. But I know I have to say something.
“Um, uh, hi, I’m Victor”
“Hi Victor”, Azizul says before I can continue as if we are in a gathering where we share our trauma or something. Spencer, who is closer to him, hits his side playfully. He laughs quietly and directs a smile in my direction. I quickly look away because the fuck.
“Go on, Victor,” Josh from Germany says. At 33, he’s the oldest among us.
“I’m 21. I’m from white Oak, Texas. It’s a small city of about six thousand people. I graduated from Princeton five years ago and acquired my masters and PhD at MIT. I’m grateful for this opportunity. I’m a little bit awkward”
“Aren’t we all?” Spencer interrupts. That makes me feel better. I hope to God that I’m saying the right things.
“Uh” I raise my glass because I have nothing else to say, “Cheers”
Everyone raises their drink and I’m glad no one calls me out for the short and cryptic introduction. Even Azizul doesn’t say anything, thank God. I’m mostly glad that the attention is off me.