Chapter 7

It was raining as we stomped up to the door. Pony banged on the door. Buck answered.

"We don't allow kids-" He began, I stepped forward into the light. "Little Hood!" He exclaimed and pulled me in a hug.

"Buck, something happened, we need help, we need to skip town," I explained as I hugged back. Buck let go and scratched the back of his head.

"Ah shoot, I know someone who can help ya," He said and left inside.

"Come on, you are gonna get pneumonia out there," I dragged Pony and Johnny in and shut the door. Buck came back with none other than Dallas Winston. Dallas took Pony and Johnny to his room and I went to mine. I opened the closet door and stepped in. I grabbed my school bag and filled it with stuff we might need. Such as, a watch, cancer sticks, my switch, a picture of my old gang, and 30 dollars.

Most of this stuff is super stolen.

I started to change into cleaner clothes.

(Johnny's pov)

"She killed that Soc for me!" Pony explained as we sat in Dallys room. He looked shocked.

"She did that for you," He pointed between me and Pony.

"Y/n saved us," I whispered. Dally stood and began going through his room, he pulled out clean clothes and tossed them to us.

"There is a train, going to Windrexville, catch it." He explained. He grabbed money and gave it to me. "There is an old church, hide there, here is 50 bucks," He began pacing the room and looking out of the window, "I'll come get ya when everythin' has cooled down... Pony don't point that thing at me!" Dally yelled when Pony pointed the gun he got at Dally.

"Thanks Dal," I said and flipped the collar of my jean jacket up, a small knock came from the door and Dal answered. Y/n was standing there. She stepped in her y/h/c hair a bit wet, but her y/e/c eyes glowed.

"Listen, Little Hood... thanks... for saving these dumbasses," Dally muttered. Y/n nodded. When she stepped into the room I saw she was clutching a bag, I walked over and gave her the money and the gun to slip in her bag. 

"Hey, isn't that Curly's shirt?" Pony pointed at the shirt Y/n was wearing. Y/n cleared her throat.

"One of them yeh," She shrugged and I felt myself get a bit hot and jealous. Before we left Dal pulled Y/n to the side, he said something I couldn't catch. After that we started our long trek to the train.

(Y/n's pov)

Pony pointed out that I was wearing one of Curly's shirts, I noticed that Johnny's mood changed a bit. Curly left his shirt here when we had one of our many drunken nights. It was the only thing that was clean. Well, as clean as Curly can be. Before we left Dallas pulled me aside.

"Hey, don't break him, Johnny, he is already shattered," His eyes were filled with care, much different from the eyes I saw the first time. "And, you still owe me a paint job," He winked and I cracked a smile.

"Don't worry, I'll bring them back in one piece. And about the car... if this plan works... I'll repaint the whole thing," I promised and he smirked. I walked with Johnny and Ponyboy, this is going to be difficult.

The sun hadn't come up yet when we neared the tracks. We heard the train closing in and we began running. Ponyboy was running right behind me, I jumped up and landed in the train car. Then, I held my hand out to Pony and pulled him in. I looked back for Johnny, he was slowing down.

"Pony, don't let go," I demanded as I held out my right hand. I then leaned out of the car to reach Johnny. But our fingers barely touched, so I leaned forward. I grabbed his hand and smiled. But, I felt Pony's grip slip, and I fell. Pony grabbed my waist and held me up. We both pulled Johnny up. I sighed.

Pony fell asleep and I was sitting by the edge with my legs hanging over. Johnny walked over to me.

"Hey, I have a question," He said, unsure. I looked at him and smiled slightly.

"Shoot,"

"Well, back in the park when...yeah... you yelled something 'bout 'James'..." Johnny shifted uncomfortably.

"I told you he was part of my old gang, my best friend," I stared out at the world flying by. 

"Was?" He pressed.

"James was killed, beaten to death by Socs...I found him... bleeding in the streets...he died in my arms... James was the closest thing I had to a family. He was tall and had dark eyes, like your eyes, he gave no f*cks to anyone... he had this amazing dark purple hair. I dared him to do it and he did it with confidence. That Soc, Bob, was there with that group and beat him. Said that he kept talking 'bout some broad who he had to get back to, who needed him. I needed him. He was my everything," I explained as a few tears fell down my face. I played with the rings he gave me to protect myself with. I showed him the picture of my gang and pointed out James.

"I'm sorry, I had a run-in with Socs..." Johnny told me about when he got attacked by Socs, about his home life, his parents. He had a few tears roll down his face and I pulled him in a hug.