Chapter 9

I was woken up by a movement outside. I opened my eyes and saw Johnny. He was still asleep. I tried to get up to check out the sound. But, when I tried to stand something held me in place. I looked down and saw Johnny had his arms around me. The sun was up and someone could be outside the church, but I couldn't get up. I didn't want to wake him. So, I layed back down and fell back asleep.

I was woken up for a second time by talking.

"You gonna wake 'em?" I hear a voice ask. Ponyboy's I think.

"You wanna eat don't ya?" I hear another voice that I couldn't place. I felt someone leaning over us. "Waky, waky, love-birds," They say, I can smell the smoke on his breath. I opened my eyes to see Dallas WInston staring back. I groaned, tiredly. I felt Johnny shift and saw him open his eyes. He smiled when his eyes met mine. Then, his eyes switched to Dallas's and his face panicked.

"Dal!" He exclaimed as he quickly got up. "H-Hey, when did y-you get here?" Johnny scratched the back of his neck. I knew that Johnny liked Dallas, he respected him, he was like family to Johnny. Dallas laughed.

"Just got here, Johnnycakes," He said as he took a drag of his smoke. " Look at blondie over here?" Dallas mocked Pony. I grabbed my bag and put the pack of kools in there and the book, along with everything else we had taken out. I heard a whistle from behind me.

"Well, well, well, would ya check out Miss Sexy," I turned and saw Dallas eyeing me up and down. I rolled my eyes. "Love the hair, doll, you picked a good one, Johnnycakes," Dallas kept poking fun at us until he got tired of it and asked the most important question ever.

"Who's hungry?" He asked and we all yelled "ME!" at the same time. Dallas took us to a fast food place not far. Dallas drove like a blind man who was drunk, I liked it. We all got burgers and frys and we stuffed our faces. Until, Dallas told Pony and Johnny something.

"Pony, ya got a letter from your brother, Soda," He handed him the letter. "We are gonna have a rumble with them Socs, with the Shepherd's outfit-" I cut Dallas off.

"Is Curly ok?" I asked. Dallas turned to me. His eyes, cold and detached, like always.

"Yeah, he is fine, he spent some time in the cooler after gettin' caught for drag racin'," Dallas told me. I sighed in relief.

"Anyways, as I was sayin'... we got ourselves a spy. That Socs girl I tried to pick up," Dallas snapped his fingers in thought.

Which one?

"Cherry? Yeh, her," He exclaimed, I tuned them out as I kept eating. Suddenly, Dallas sped out of the fast food place and my fries went flying. I sighed and listened back to the conversation.

"You don't wanna go to jail!" Dallas yelled. " 'Cause in there... you turn cold!! I don't want that for you! I don't want you to get hard like me!"

I had no idea what they were talking about.

"Dammit Johnny!" Dallas slammed his hand on the wheel, "Why would you want to turn yourself in!?!!" He continued.

Turn ourselves in?

"I-I mean they wouldn't be in that much trouble, I killed him, and it was outta self defense," I said. Dallas looked at me through the rear-view mirror.

"NO! I told Buck I'd take care of ya, I'm not letting you do that!" He yelled. We all stayed silent. I smelled smoke and heard screaming. We pulled up to the church. It was up in flames. My eyes went wide. The fire must've been from a lit cigarette.

"I told the kids not to play in the church!" I hear a woman yell, followed by screams of children. They were in the church.

AH shit... I'm wanted for murder, what do I have to lose?

I leaped over the car door and ran toward the church. 

"Y/n! No!" I heard Johnny yell. I ran past the other people and tried to get through the door. It was blocked though. So, I picked up a stone and threw it into the window, shattering it. I jumped in. I turned around and saw Johnny and Ponyboy standing behind me. I smiled and began searching.

"Hey!" Johnny yelled, We looked over and saw Johnny pointing to a corner. We rushed over to see kids huddled in a corner. The fire broke another window, due to the heat. I picked up a kid and tossed them out the window. Johnny and Pony helped me. I picked up another child and they bit my hand. I yelped out in pain but tossed them out anyway.

"You dip-shits! Get outta there! It's gonna collapse." Dallas yelled from outside. I looked up and saw that the roof of the church was unstable.