chapter seven

Iris woke up from her nap to a notification ping from her phone.

Sitting up groggily, she saw ‌it was an Instagram notification.

Nikita2000:

Wyd?

It took Iris a few moments to realize that Niki had finally responded to the direct message she sent her the previous day.

Iris sat up straighter. She was wide awake now.

Iris_nicole:

Nm..you?

Iris sent the message, hoping her reply sounded casual and nonchalant. She didn't want Niki to know she had been anxiously waiting for a response to her text. It took Niki over 24 hours to respond to Iris' text, even though she was still active on Instagram, but Iris responded in a manner of seconds.

The next text from Niki came a couple minutes later.

Nikita2000:

You smoke?

Iris didn't really smoke. She had tried it a few times but never liked how tired and heavy it made her feel. However, she would not let Niki know that. This was the perfect opening she needed.

Iris_nicole:

Yeah

Nikita2000:

Come over

In a second, Iris had flown off from her bed and was now standing with her closet door wide open, trying to decide what to wear. She wanted to appear like she wasn't trying too hard, but‌ wanted to look good.

Iris finally decided on a cropped black tank top and matching black shorts. She reapplied her makeup that had smudged during her nap, as well as deodorant, and a few spritzes of her body spray.

Iris headed out of her room and was just about to open up her apartment door when it flew open, revealing Korra standing there.

"Oh? Where are you off to?" Korra asked as her eyes roamed over Iris' outfit, "or rather... who are you off to?"

"Does it look like I'm trying too hard?" Iris asked, second-guessing her outfit of choice.

"Nope, this is your 'look like I'm not trying too hard outfit', I know it is, but Niki doesn't know it is, so it's good."

"How did you know I'm going to see Niki?"

"Who else would you be going to see dressed like this?" Korra wiggled her eyebrows teasingly.

Iris rolled her eyes, holding back her laugh. "Damn, you make it sound like I'm naked or something."

"I'm sure you'll be in a few minutes-"

"Alright," Iris said, squeezing past Korra in the doorway, "I'm leaving now. I don't have time for your cheeky remarks right now."

Iris could hear Korra laughing behind her as she made her way out of the doorway, but there was a smile on her face. She was excited to be meeting Niki again, and after the past few days that she had, God knew she needed it.

Anxiety crept onto Iris once she arrived at Niki's apartment. She texted Niki that she was outside and stood there shuffling anxiously.

The last time she was with Niki, she was drunk, which boosted her confidence. What if her sober self was too awkward and weird? What if Niki was turned off by her? What if-

"Hey." Niki appeared in the doorway with her locs packed in a bun at the top of her head. "Hope I didn't keep you waiting too long."

"No, not at all," Iris said. She was so nervous that her voice came out in a weird squeal.