WP x Maybelline Bonus Chapter

a/n:

hi all!

i'm extremely excited to be part of the Wattpad and Maybeline partnership for their #BraveTogether Mental Health initiative. In honor of Mental Health Awareness Month, for every comment, Wattpad and Maybeline will donate $1 to a mental health organization of my choosing! please make sure to read till the end for more information on the Writerthon(:

///

"Iris, your girlfriend keeps texting me to check in on you. Can you give her a call?"

The irritation was clear in Korra's voice and Iris felt herself cringe slightly. She made an active effort not to let it show on her face.

"Yes, sure. I've just been busy. I'll call her now."

Korra was on her way out of the apartment and paused with her door on the handle. She looked back at her best friend. The irritation she had been feeling before had changed, morphing into something different. Concern.

"Iris," Korra began, "is everything alright? You've seemed a bit off since after winter break."

Iris swallowed hard, pushing the lump down her throat as she plastered a smile onto her face.

"I'm fine, just stressed out about school and stuff. I need to do really well this semester to finalize changing my major to marine biology." It was the truth, but only the half-truth.

Korra nodded, but she didn't look fully convinced. "You know you can talk to me about anything, right? Even stuff having to do with your father-"

"Everything's fine, Korra," Iris said quickly. Any mention of her father was fighting words and something Iris tried not to dwell on too deeply.

"Alright," Korra said, realizing the tense atmosphere that was building in the room, "I'm here if you need anything."

With that, Korra left the apartment and Iris released a breath she didn't realize she had been holding. She made her way into her room and suddenly, a feeling of comfort overcame her. It was moments like these that she felt most relaxed these days. When she was alone, hidden from everyone. She didn't have to put on a front anymore.

Iris quickly changed into more comfortable clothes before getting into bed. Her phone was on silent, but she saw the screen light up as she received yet another text from Adi.

baby, are you okay? I'm a bit worried about you.

Iris felt a pull at her heart, and her throat close up. She knew Adi was worried. She so desperately wanted to tell her what was going on, but she didn't know how to. She couldn't put into words what she felt.

She felt alone. All these people that loved her surrounded her, but yet, there was that doubt within her, that voice in her head telling her that everybody hated her.

yeah i'm fine, i've just been really tired.

Iris ended up sending the text to Adi before switching her phone off and hiding it from view. It was all she could think of to say. It was the easiest thing to say. For a few moments, Iris lay staring up at her room ceiling. It seemed like forever before sleep finally came.

"We should wake her up."

"Do you think that's a good idea?"

Iris heard the whispers with her eyes shut. For a moment, her mind was blank, processing what was going on.

"Fuck it, I'm going to wake her up,"