chapter forty-two

Niki hit Iris up the moment she was back on campus after Thanksgiving break. She hadn't said goodbye to Iris when she was leaving, spoken to her throughout the break. Yet, Iris wasn't surprised. She had since stopped expecting such things from Niki.

"Honey, I'm home!" Iris heard a voice yell from the living room. She walked out of her bedroom to see Korra standing there with a huge smile on her face.

Korra had just returned from break and had her suitcase clutched in her hand. She had also changed her hair from the previous pink braids to a new platinum blonde weave install.

"Korra," Iris said, excitement coursing through her as she embraced Korra in a hug. "How was your break?"

"So much drama," Korra replied, reaching out and hugging Iris. "Two of my aunts got into a fight during thanksgiving dinner, which led to everyone going home early. I didn't really care, though. I love my family, but I can only stand being near their drama for so long."

Iris laughed, a part of her wishing that her 'family drama' was more like this, rather than her deadbeat dad trying to make their way back into her life But unfortunately, Iris didn't really have aunts or uncles that she was in contact with. It was always just her and her mom. Well, at least it used to be.

"Anyway, how was your break?" Korra asked, "how's your mom doing?"

Iris bit her lip slightly, already regretting the lies that were about to come out of her mouth. "It was fine. It was just me and my mom as usual, really chill."

Korra nodded in understanding.

"I'm glad you got time to spend with your mom. I'm sure she really misses you whenever you're off at college."

Iris suddenly felt sick. Completely sick.

She cleared her throat, unable to make eye contact with Korra. "Yeah, she did. Um, I'm just gonna finish unpacking and stuff. Never really got the chance to when I got back yesterday."

"Yeah, I should probably go do that too. I know the longer that I hold it off, the harder it will be for me to do it."

Iris nodded in agreement, and both girls retreated into their respective rooms.

Once Iris shut her room door behind her, a fresh wave of nausea overcame her. She took a couple of deep breaths to get her breathing stable, but her body felt too hot.

How long was she going to keep lying to Korra? How long was she going to keep lying to herself?

Iris didn't want to be in her apartment right then. She felt suffocated and queasy and overall, just gross. She retrieved her phone from her pocket, opening the message that Niki had sent her a couple of hours ago, asking her to come over.

Iris sent a quick text to Niki, informing her she was on her way before silently exiting her bedroom. She could hear music coming from Korra's room as she left their apartment, locking the door behind her.

Niki was already waiting at her apartment door when Iris arrived. She was dressed in a loose flannel shirt and khaki pants.

"Hey," she simply said as Iris walked in.

"Hi," Iris responded, "how was your Thanksgiving?"

"It was alright," Niki simply answered, in typical Niki fashion, as they made their way into her bedroom. The LED lights were already red, and Iris almost rolled her eyes.

It didn't escape Iris's notice that Niki hadn't bothered asking her how her own break was. But Iris wasn't surprised. If anything, it only solidified the thoughts that had been running through her mind.