chapter twenty

Niki's apartment door was already wide open, so Iris just let herself in. There was music playing and the sound of voices, which Iris walked towards, unsure of what to do.

She had texted Niki already, letting her know she was there, but hadn't yet gotten a response.

"Hey," Cathy said, appearing seemingly out of nowhere with a bright smile on her face. "I didn't know you were coming."

"Yeah," Iris said, returning the tight hug that Cathy was giving her. Iris was about to tell Cathy it was Niki that had invited her over when Niki appeared in view. She had her locs packed up in a bun above her head.

"Oh, of course. Niki invited you," Cathy said, with a knowing look in her eyes. Of course, Cathy probably knew that Iris and Niki were hooking up. She was one of Niki's roommates, after all.

Cathy's room was right next to Niki's and for a moment, Iris wondered if Cathy had ever heard them having sex and a mild embarrassment overcame her.

"Hey," Niki said, reaching an arm over to give Iris a hug. Unlike Cathy's hug, it was a side hug. There was barely any contact, and Niki took her arm away from around her as quickly as she had put it there.

Iris tried not to dwell too long on this, but took a cake from the tray that Niki was offering her.

"Everyone's watching a movie in the living room," Niki announced, jerking her head slightly in the direction of the living room. "Wanna do that for a bit?"

Iris nodded and followed Niki back into the living room.

The noise Iris had heard earlier seemed to have come from the TV, as Niki's roommates, as well as some people that Iris didn't recognize, were gathered around, watching something intensely on the TV.

Iris' presence was barely even acknowledged, but she was fine with this, as her anxiety was working overtime right then. Iris wasn't hungry, but continued eating from the tray of cake that Niki had offered her. Stress-eating was something that she did ‌when anxious, and being in the presence of a bunch of random people, with Niki right beside her, was something that provoked her anxiety.

Moreso, Niki had invited Iris to hang out, not just to fuck. This was different, and although Iris was trying her hardest not to think or read too deeply into the situation, she couldn't help but think this meant that Niki wanted something more than just a fuck-buddy.

Iris' mind flickered to Adi, and weird guilt overcame her. But she asked herself why she was feeling guilty. There was nothing at all between her and Adi, right?

Iris brushed this feeling off, dismissing it as she took another piece of cake. Iris pushed thoughts of Adi to the back of her mind and tried to focus on the movie playing on the screen.

It was a slasher-horror movie and extremely gory. Iris was actually filled with relief when Niki leaned over and whispered into her ear that she should come with her to her bedroom.

Chewing on the last bits of cake in her mouth, Iris followed Niki back into her room. As usual, she was simultaneously nervous and filled with excitement the way she was whenever she got into Niki's room. But Iris knew this feeling would be short-lived once they were done having sex, and Niki dismissed her.

"Hey, can we talk about something?" Iris said the moment they were both sitting on Niki's bed. Her palms were sweaty, and she swallowed nervously.

"Yeah, sure," Niki replied, but instantly began kissing Iris all over her face, grazing her lips occasionally. Niki's hands, which found their way under Iris' shirt, made it apparent that Niki was not at all in the mood to 'talk'.