chapter fourteen

If Iris had thought the hiking trip was bad, the pain afterward was hell. She was sore all over and cold compresses could only do so much.

Iris texted Adi the next day about the pain she was in, and Adi had informed her it was a delayed muscle offset (whatever the hell that meant), and Iris needed to do some more physical exercise consistently.

Of course, Iris had simply rolled her eyes, reading the text. It was just like Adi to suggest more exercise to cure pain brought on by exercise.

The new week started, and it wasn't long before Iris started feeling that the days were just rolling into each other. It was the point of the semester where it seemed that all Iris was doing was class, homework, and work.

Iris barely had time to do the things that she loved, as she spent every bit of free time she had catching up on sleep or getting ahead on studying midterm season was fast approaching.

Iris' mom had called her at some point during the week, but after the last phone conversation that they had, Iris was not ready to deal with her right then. She was too stressed out with school and was certain she would lose it if her mom even mentioned her deadbeat father again.

As far as Iris was concerned, that was what was best for everyone. Instead, Iris dealt with the whole situation by pushing it to the back of her mind and pretending it didn't exist. Iris distracted herself with schoolwork and studying for exams.

The only relief Iris got that week was when Niki hit her up with a 'you up' text.

Iris had just finished a late-night study session and was exhausted as hell, but Niki was someone she just couldn't resist. No matter the circumstances.

Iris instantly responded, and before long, she was dressed up and on her way to Niki's apartment. It was past midnight, and Iris had class the next day, but that wasn't important. She needed to spend time with Niki. It had been in a stressful week. Surely, this was the Universe's way of rewarding her.

Iris arrived at Niki's apartment in record time, and Niki appeared, leading Iris back into her bedroom.

Iris felt her heart sink. When Niki had spoken to her during the camping trip, Iris had expected they would hang out outside of Niki's bedroom, but what had Iris expected from a 'you up?' text so late at night? Of course, this was Niki's idea of "hanging out". But Iris would not pull away now. When it came to Niki, anything was better than nothing.

Hence, when Niki handed her the joint, Iris did not hesitate to take it from her and inhaled deeply. There were thoughts in her head. Thoughts about how she didn't really want to smoke, thoughts about how she didn't really enjoy smoking, thoughts about how she had class the next day, but Iris pushed all these thoughts to the back of her head.

The girls sat in silence for a few minutes, passing the joint between them in Niki's bedroom with music playing on low in the background.

"How doesn't this set off the fire alarm?" Iris finally asked, the excruciating silence getting to her.

Niki didn't verbally respond, but motioned at the fire alarm in her bedroom, which she had covered with an unused sanitary pad.

"That works," Iris simply said, feeling the high start to hit her.

Iris' body relaxed, but her mind began to race. Of course, Iris wouldn't freak out in front of Niki. That would be lame, and she doubted she could ever forgive herself. So even though she was on the verge of a panic attack, she kept it all in, trying to keep her composure.

Iris was desperately raking through her mind, trying to find a distraction, and didn't hesitate for a second when Niki pulled her towards her. Like the previous times before, she let herself get engaged in how Niki's hands felt on her bare skin, on how Niki's bare skin felt beneath her arms.

Iris let herself get lost in the temporary pleasure, using it as the distraction she craved. She pretended that all her worries weren't real. She pretended that nothing existed at that moment, apart from Niki and herself. She told that this was exactly what she wanted for the longest time. She had come into her Junior Year of college, wishing for it to differ from all the previous years before, and it finally was.

But just like always, it was temporary. After the muffled moans and the ecstasy of the moment, everything came back to her.

Iris silently put on her clothes afterward, knowing that she wasn't going to be spending the night. Iris knew that was not what Niki wanted, and despite how much she wished that the other girl would ask her to stay, it never happened.

"Get home safe," was all Niki said to her as Iris made her way out of the bedroom. She didn't offer to walk her home, seeing as it was almost 2 in the morning, and didn't ask for a confirmation text once Iris got home.

Iris wondered if Niki even knew where she lived. Probably not.

The night was chilly, and Iris was definitely not dressed right for it. Her bra was stuffed in the back pocket of her shorts, and her nipples were getting perkier the longer she was outside.

Iris quickly made her way back to her apartment, relieved by the warmth once she entered inside.

This relief was short-lived once she saw Korra standing in the kitchen with a bag of chips in her hand.

"Oh, where are you coming from‌?" Korra asked, noticing Iris at the door.

"Library," Iris lied, "I have a project due tomorrow that I needed to work on."

Korra nodded, going back to eating from her bag of chips.

"Why are you even up‌? Don't you have an early morning class tomorrow?" Iris asked, avoiding eye contact with Korra, while trying to make it to her bedroom without letting her see that she was high.

"I was craving a late-night snack. I was feeling nauseous and forgot to eat dinner so-" Korra suddenly paused, "Iris, are you high?"

Fuck.

"No, I'm not. I hate being high."

"Exactly," Korra responded, "which is exactly why I am wondering why you are high right now? Where are you really coming back from?"

Iris knew that Korra would've been able to guess where herself without Iris' bra choosing right then to fall out of her back pocket.

A few moments passed between the girls as they stared at the red lace bra on the floor. Korra slowly brought her eyes back up to Iris' face. Concern was the only thing on her features.

"Iris... I've been meaning to talk to you about you and Niki. I know you really like her and she has been your dream girl, but are you sure what you guys have going on is best for you?

Not this.

Iris quickly picked up her bra, stuffing it back into her pocket. Her mind was spinning and her heart was beating so fast, Iris could barely even concentrate on the words that Korra was saying to her.

"I don't want you doing things you normally don't do because you feel pressured. I know you hate getting high because of your anxiety, and-"

"It's not that deep, Korra," Iris quickly said, interrupting her. "Niki isn't making me do anything that I don't want to."

"Are you sure?" Korra asked, doubt clear in her voice, "Since when is marijuana something you do?"

"Okay Korra," Iris finally said, pushing past her best friend, "you're my best friend, not my mom. Thanks for your concern, but I can take care of myself."

Iris escaped to her room, immediately crawling into her bed. She was exhausted, and so desperately just wanted to go to sleep. But her mind was spinning too fast for her to get any rest, and shutting her eyes only made it worse.

It was only until the early hours of the morning that Iris could finally fall asleep.