014 | the favor

J I H Y E
It almost feels like I'm back at school again after a break or something. Because it did feel weird when I woke up this morning, realizing it's school today. It's like when you wake up, thinking it's Friday or Sunday but then realize it's Monday.

I closed the car door behind me as I walked towards the school gate. I started to look after Sena as I walked after realizing I don't see her on our usual meeting spot. Maybe she's just late or I'm early. I looked behind me, seeing Sena with her eyes glued at her phone.

"Sena!" I said happily as I walked over to her.

"I'm disappointed in you" Sena replied with a serious tone in her voice while she crossed her arms.

"Wait what?" I responded confused.

Sena held up her phone, showing pictures of me from the soccer game and Heeseung's party. My eyes widened as I looked at the pictures Sena showed me. How come she sees all of this before me?

"I'm going to explain everything!" I said and snatched Sena's phone away from her.

"First of all, I'm sorry for not being honest from the start and.." I continued.

I looked around us, making sure no one was secretly listening to our conversation. Thousands of thoughts crossed my mind while I'm still trying to decide how I'm supposed to say everything.

"Yes, me and Jake are set up in an arranged marriage" I suddenly said without thinking twice.

Sena's eyes lit up with happiness while I started to regret every single life decision I have ever made. What have I got myself into? Making lies like this only makes things worse because in the end have I no other choice but the continue with all these lies.

"I'm sorry I have told you until now, it's just.. Been a lot you know. I have been waiting to tell you this but then you suddenly caught us and I got very surprised and taken aback. That's why I haven't said anything until now" I said with full speed, barely breathing between the sentences.

"Jihye calm down, it's okay. I understand it's not the easiest thing to say" Sena replied while smiling.

"And! My parents aren't forcing me to stay at home anymore, so what about a girl's night soon?" I asked.

"Okay" Sena answered and smiled wider than before.

I linked my arm with Sena and the two of us started to walk inside. We almost jumped while walking, making people stare at us weirdly but we don't care. The smile on my face slowly faded after realizing once again what I have done.

Why was lying more natural for me than telling the truth? But how am I supposed to tell the truth in a situation like that? I don't want Sena to know Jake is also stealing and the whole reason why we have started to grow a friendship between us.

Sena's conspiracy theory about me and Jake in an arranged marriage felt more logical for a second even though it's not close to the truth. Lying is not something I do often but these days is lying the only thing I do, at least to Sena.

We walked into the classroom and sat down at our assigned seats since we are starting the lesson soon. Most of my classmates were still standing everywhere in the classroom, chatting with their friends until our teacher walks in.

"Are you doing the English homework now?" I asked my desk mate Sujin while I sat down beside her.

"I had totally forgotten about it until Yuna reminded me five minutes ago" Sujin answered with her eyes glued at the homework.

I let out a chuckle and then grabbed my backpack from the floor. I took out my English homework and handed over it to Sujin.

"Thank you Jihye, you are the best!" Sujin said while smiling widely at me.

I smiled back at her and then started to help her finish the homework before the teachers came. Letting my classmates copying my homework it's not something I do often, it depends on the situation and the relationship I have with the person who asks me.

Me and Sujin are not that close, the conversations we have are very short since we don't have so much to talk about. But since she's nice and doesn't use me to get better grades I let her copy my homework sometimes.

Loud whispers started to appear in the classroom. I looked up, wondering what was going on until I looked over at the classroom door, seeing Jake standing there. My mouth immediately formed a smile and waved my hand when we made eye contact.

Jake singladed with his hands to follow him. I got up from my seat, listening to the whispering getting louder while me and Jake walked out from the classroom together.

"Sorry for interrupting but can I ask you for a favor?" Jake asked when we got outside the classroom.

"Absolutely, what is it?" I replied.

"I was thinking if you could help me study for the chemistry test that's coming up this week" Jake said.

"I can do it, but do you need it? Aren't you ranked number 1 in your class?" I asked puzzled.

"I am but.. You know. You are ranked number 1 in the whole school so like.. I thought maybe.." Jake answered while scratching his neck.

"You don't need to explain, I will help you. I was just a little surprised since I know chemistry is one of your best subjects" I said while I let out a small laugh.

"Thank you Jihye, I appreciate it. Can you after school maybe?" Jake replied.

"Works for me" I responded with a smile.

"See you after school then" Jake said and let out a wide smile in the end.

We said goodbye and I watched Jake walk away to his classroom while I continued to stay in the same place. I watched Jake disappear until I walked back into the classroom. As soon as I walked in, my classmates immediately started the loud whispers again.

I rolled my eyes and walked over to my seat again. It's kinda impressive how people react as soon as they see a boy and a girl together by themselves.

"So it is true?!" Sujin asked happily while she gave back my homework.

"You and Jake are dating!" She added.

"No we are not, we are just friends" I replied.

"Yeah sure" Sujin responded.

I sarcastically rolled my eyes again. There's rumors going on about me and Jake dating? I'm not even surprised at this point to be honest. It was just a matter of time before it would happen. 

━━━━━━━༺༻━━━━━━━
I had my first day at school today and I hope school don't stop me from updating this book as much I have done so far :)