- 04

R Y A N04 | desires

R Y A N
04 | desires

"Is she here yet?"

Martha looks up at me from her computer. Her face turns pale as she tries to put together my words into context. She has been working for the company for twenty years now and no matter whatever promotion I offer her, she is satisfied with being my personal receptionist. The woman is kind and generous beyond anything but she is also freakishly scared of me all the time.

The few times she heard me scold my employees during meetings didn't help with that.

"Who, Mr. Pierce?" she asks, pinching her eyebrows as her eyes take a look of thoughtfulness.

"Miss. Elizabeth Gold. She goes by Lizzie."

Even her name has a taste on my tongue. How is that even possible?

"I don't know, Mr. Pierce," Martha sighs, standing up from her chair behind the counter. "I didn't see anyone come in today and even if she did, she won't have an ID to enter this part of the office."

Yeah, she won't. I forgot about that.

Rubbing my jaw, I look at the clock behind Martha which reads 9 o'clock. Surprisingly, instead of feeling happy at the fact that she has managed to disappoint me by being late on the very first day itself, I find myself hoping that she would come. There is something about that girl which makes me love the way she gets on my nerves. I like playing the cat to her mouse. It would have been fun if the game had lasted longer.

Disturbed by the thoughts, I start to pace in front of my cubicle, one hand on my hip and the other caressing my stubbled chin as I keep looking at the glass doors. There is no sign of her.

"One interview and she's already got to you, brother?"

I turn at the sound of the voice. My brother or more like my mirror, Reece is leaning against the wall beside Martha's semi-circular counter. He is dressed in a black button-down and jeans, his one foot resting against the wall as he crosses his arms over his chest in amusement.

Unlike Lizzie's pretty face, his manages to piss me off within seconds, and the fact that he is my identical twin who looks every inch like me pisses me off even more.

"Shut up," I growl at him, taking another look at the double doors. "What are you doing here?"

"Sarah called and said that a new employee was joining. I didn't want to miss your first interaction." Reece smirks, turning to Martha. "What do you think, Martha? Won't it be a show?"

The fifty-year-old lady just shrugs, ignoring his presence as she focuses on her computer screen again.

"Leave, Reece. No one wants you here. It's too early to go pissing people off."

As I rest my hands against the steel railing, peering down to see any sign of my new assistant, my brother walks towards me leisurely, hooking one finger in a pocket of his jeans.