- 31

R Y A N31 | shattered

R Y A N
31 | shattered

"I had so much fun!" Crystal's exhilarated cry once she jumps out of my car cuts through our silent surroundings.

Winston's car pulls up behind mine, driven by Reece. Mom steps down, her lips spread into a wide smile which has been her expression since we stepped out of the hotel. I open the passenger side door, helping Lizzie out. She is a little tipsy from the four glasses of champagne she had and is giggling continuously just like Crystal.

"That was a fascinating party," Winston remarks as our chauffeurs take over the control of our cars and we head for the mansion doors.

Reece comes up behind Lizzie, his arm wrapping around her waist when she traipses to the other side.

"Be careful...watch out for the steps..." he says to her, a little too possessively and completely undermining the fact that I am holding her too.

I am never letting her fall.

I know I am throwing daggers at him without meaning to. His hand around her waist doesn't come off and I don't wish to make a scene right now. I will wait till he is alone to give him an earful about touching what's mine.

"I'm fine...thanks, Reece," Lizzie chuckles, patting him over his chest. "...or is it Ryan? Damn...Ryan, where are your glasses?"

She flicks her gaze between us, rolling her eyes.

"I'm here, Lizzie," I let her know, pulling her away from Reece as Mom's warning rings in my ears.

'You should wear your glasses often so that Lizzie doesn't make the same mistake'

"The charity was very successful. We had more donations than ever and it's all thanks to you, Lizzie," Mom says, standing beside Winston, a sleepy Crystal yawning between them.

"Mention not, Gloria," my drunk girlfriend salutes my Mom, clasping the lapels of my suit for balance with her other hand.

"Please marry Ryan, Lizzie..." Crystal pleads in her sleepy voice. "He's less grumpy when you're with him."

"Is he now, little one?" Lizzie parts herself from me to kneel in front of the child. "If you find it interesting, he's never grumpy with me."

"Really?"

"Well, okay maybe just a...little bit..." She lifts her hand to gesture at the small distance between her thumb and forefinger as she brings them close. "...just a tiny bit."

"You're funny, Lizzie!" Crystal laughs, throwing her arms around Lizzie's neck to hug her. "I love you."

She places a quick kiss on Lizzie's cheek as Lizzie pats her back gently. I can't help the little smile that gets on my lips as I watch the scene. My pretend girlfriend slash fuck buddy has mixed in so well with my family that she seems like a part of them now.