- 18

R Y A N18 | family emergencies

R Y A N
18 | family emergencies

Bloody family emergencies

I had thought that I was in a time of my life when those shits weren't necessary anymore. But I was wrong apparently because my mother keeps ringing my phone every ten seconds.

Reece is whistling while he relaxes beside me as the driver enters the car through the gates of Pierce Estate. The family mansion looms high over the enormous garden. This mansion has been in the area for years. My father brought us here when my brother and I were only thirteen. We used to live in Florida when he shifted us to a new home. He had suddenly come into enormous wealth due to a lucky path he never revealed about.

I still wonder how he got to own an empire this huge. He used to only be a mere manager for another.

I thought I could ask him someday when I was old enough to face the truth but he was gone before I could.

And now I am left taking care of bloody family emergencies.

The driver stops the car and we both get out, my angry steps taking me up the steps of the mansion faster than my brother. Reece is having fun chuckling at my rage as he follows me in his casual stance. He doesn't know exactly how pissed I am right now.

I had been enjoying my time in the office staring at Lizzie as she worked. I had plans tonight — plans to seduce her for a quickie when Mom's call interrupted me. Now, Lizzie is alone in the office while I am here.

This is not how I imagined I would be spending my evening.

I turn the entryway and enter through the huge double doors that lead to our enormous hall.

The mansion is beautiful. There is peace here as miles of land both ahead and behind are owned by our family.

I find Mom pacing in the sitting area of the hall, while her husband, my step-father Winston Clarke reads the newspaper. His face is hidden from me but his posture of diligence lets me know that whatever the matter is is of no consequence to him. Which also means it should be of no consequence to me.

He doesn't come from a posh background like us. My Mom had a one-night stand with him at a bar a year after my father's death ten years ago. She had wanted to let go for a night but instead ended up knocked by a child — the said child being the eight-year-old currently sitting with her lips pouted and arms crossed as she spots me entering the hall.

That little devil hates the very sight of me. With her pink cheeks, pink dress, and tiny blonde pigtails, she knows well how to manipulate our family into forgiving her mischiefs. All she has to do is blink her big blue eyes and they are at her feet.

Everyone except me. I ain't falling for her innocent games.

Mom looks up when she hears my footsteps halting to a stop. She lights up when she sees me.