- 17

L i z z i e17 | domino effect

L i z z i e
17 | domino effect

I manage to avoid Tia for the next two days, postponing the event of the disclosure to Monday morning when I have a story ready for her ears.

We are in a small cafe a little away from our apartment building. The cozy space called Seventh Heaven is our go-to site for puff cakes and coffee. We take our places at a little round table, sipping our Mocha Lattes while I narrate a not-so-honest version of the events that proceeded after meeting Mr. Pierce.

"You had a one-night stand with your boss and now he wants more?" Tia sips her coffee, eyeing me suspiciously from the rim of her mug.

I gulp down my drink too, then place the mug back on the table. Pulling my full-sleeved shirt to cover half of my hands, I give her a guilty-as-charged glance. She has one eye narrowed towards me while the other is wide open, giving her a comical look.

"Were you wearing your red lipstick throughout these events?" She asks the question like she knows the mess I am in although I didn't tell her the real version of how the events happened.

I can't have my only friend in the world, who happens to be my roommate too, judge me for being over my head. It is not like I had a choice in the matter. My dead father's debt was the one that caught me off-guard. I only wanted a hot guy to relieve my stress — the domino effect was unstoppable.

"I was." I nod, pouting my lips to indicate I am wearing that same shade even now.

She shuts her eyes as she inhales a deep breath. The news seems to have had more impact on her than I imagined. It shouldn't be a surprise considering she is Ryan's major fan. I have little clue if her fascination for him extends beyond his work. She puts her mug down and crosses her forearms over the table, leaning closer to my face.

"You're in deep shit, Lizzie. Those relationships are destined to doom."

There is no bitterness in her voice but her words sound such. The expression she has on is of concern which in turn bewilders me whether she is upset or approves of my crimes.

"It's not a relationship," I say. "It was just a slip of hormones. Ryan was pretty persuasive."

"Well, your Ryan is more than persuasive." She rolls her eyes. "I saw the look he had on when he came in that day. It was like he could eat you if I wasn't there."

I feel my neck heat up as I recall the exact look she is talking about. If I close my eyes, I can still picture that look.

"You're reading too much into it," I declare. As if I am not.

"Deny it all you want but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be satisfied with one night. I have seen too many Asian dramas to know what fate looks like. If things go as I see, you might even be married to him by the end of this month."