Chapter 7

"What the?!-" exclaimed Lee, turning and running out the door.

"Go! I'll get my gun." Hershel yelled from behind him, his face for once showing fear.

Lee quickly flew past Katjaa and towards the source of the noise. Shawn's leg had been crushed by the tractor. Monsters, attracted by Shawn's screams reached in through the fence, trying to bite him. The fence preventing them from doing so was starting to snap. Duck, who was in the seat of the tractor, leaned out of his chair with a confused and blank look on his face. Suddenly, another one of the monsters reached for his leg and pulled him closer by the shoulders.

"My leg is stuck!" Shawn yelled, "Get it off of me!" Lee went over to Shawn to help him; he pulled him by his arms. But there was no effect; his leg was still trapped under the wheel of the tractor. "Fuck, it's crushed! Move this thing!" Shawn pleaded.

Kenny ran over to his son and easily pulled him away from the reaches of the monster attacking him. "I got you!" he said to Duck, carrying him in his arms.

"KENNY! HELP LEE!" Shawn shouted to Kenny. But Kenny panicked, and ran, taking his son to a safer area of the farm with Shawn's yells echoing out from behind him.

Lee went to push the tractor off of Shawn's leg. It wouldn't budge, no matter how hard he tried. Suddenly, there was a crackling of wood as the fence bar collapsed under the weight of the two monsters. Lee backed away in horror.

Shawn screamed as the things bit into his leg and throat, splaying blood. Hershel arrived with his gun a moment too late as Clementine backed off and whimpered from the sight of Shawn. Hershel's face fell when he realized he was too late to save Shawn. He shot one of the monsters, which flew off him. The second one stopped its meal to raise its head and snarl at the sound of the rifle, before Hershel shot him too; causing its whole head to explode. A third monster appeared from the field, growling with his arms forward, before Hershel planted a bullet through its brain. When the threat was neutralized Hershel headed to Shawn's body.

"I'm ok pop...I'm ok..." Shawn managed to muster weakly.

"I can fix you, don't worry, we'll stitch you up."

"It almost...it almost got me, man. Lee tried to save me." He mumbled, looking up at Lee who stood before his body.

"I know, son."

"I..." Shawn began to speak, before gasping and closing his eyes for the last time.

Hershel stared his son's dead body, his eyes and mouth wide open.

Kenny and his family and Clementine walked over to the bloody scene. Hershel got on his knees.

"Get out." He stood up, a deep scowl on his face, " GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE."

"I'm sorry." expressed Kenny, looking down.

"Sorry? Your son is alive! You don't get to be sorry!" half-screamed Hershel, before turning to Lee, "You tried to help him, but this piece of shit let him die."

Kenny was wide-eyed with regret and sorrow, the weight of his actions on him.

Lee spoke up, "I wasn't strong enough. I'm sorry."

"If your girl is ever trapped you better hope you get stronger or your friends aren't cowards. Please, just go. Get out and never come back." Hershel yelled, before kneeling next to his son's dead body.

Lee turned to Kenny, giving him a subtle nod as Kenny intently stared back. Katjaa and him looked at Clementine. "You've got that ride to Macon if you want it." Kenny mumbled sadly, before leaving with his family for his truck. Lee and Clementine followed.