Chapter 23 - Long Road Ahead

Days passed, seeming to drift away completely along with the harsher winds. Soon it would be winter. Most of them feigned ignorance and apathy to the dropping temperatures but deep down, they knew it was inevitable.

Time wasn't the only thing that faded. The group's moral was falling. Hand in hand with hunger, dread and paranoia had begun to accumulate in each of the members' hearts. But, they pressed on with their heads up. The incident at the farm would not pull them down. At least, that was what Lee intended to do.

The party had decided that in order to slow the process of supplies diminishing, they assigned Lee and Kenny to scavenge for whatever was remaining in the town of Macon. This would occur every once in a while. Lilly had instructed simply, "Sneak in. Gather. Sneak out." The task at hand seemed easy enough. In reality, it was a dangerous and nerve-wracking mission to sneak right into the heart of an enemy territory. However, it was better than sitting around until they starved to death.

Upon returning, Lilly would examine the gathered bundle and it could go two ways from that point. But they were back home. Or at least what they called home. Then, they would mull about with their lives at the motor inn until the next assigned day.

It was one of those days...

This had to be quick, before the walkers caught notice. Sneak in. Gather. Sneak out. Lee and Kenny ran along the streets of Macon, over discarded and torn pieces of what seemed to be newspaper headlines. This wasn't the first time they had been sent out on this mission but nevertheless, it never failed to keep the two on their toes. Trying to be quick and silent at the same time was proving to be difficult. They bent low, staying close to the wall as they rounded the sharp corner. Realizing the street seemed to be clear, they parted from the building's side and strode out into the middle. Lee and Kenny exchanged wary looks. It looked safe enough out here. Hopefully that went for the inside of their goal.

The streets were silent, other than the occasional rustle of crumbled loose-leaf fluttering freely in the air. It reminded Lee of a desert town, except tumbleweeds were replaced by papers and the saloons replaced with pharmacies and what-not.

Kenny arched his eyebrow and the corners of his mouth perked up, "Looks like this is our lucky day."

Lee shrugged, but his face shared the smile.

"Well, let's just get to it then, shall we?"

Lee led the way, looking from side to side for growling predators. They walked up towards a boarded up building. It seemed the messy fortification just wasn't enough to subdue the living dead judging by the blood-stained and jagged shards of glass. Lee glanced up.

TIM'S TOOLS & MORE

Strewn about were thin posters advertising mega sales and big savings. Lee peered into the gaps between the demolished planks; Kenny covering his flank. Once he signaled that there was nothing useful for the taking inside, they continued on side by side down the empty and long-stretching road.

Kenny groaned, arching his back and rubbing it like an old man, "Mmph..man."

Lee glanced at him worryingly, "How's it doing now?"

"..Well, I've felt better."

"Any progress?"

"Yeah, doesn't hurt that much as before." Kenny changed the subject, "Lee, where do you come down on stayin' or goin'?"

It was obvious what he was getting at but he still inquired, "You mean, packing up the motel and getting in the RV?"

"Yeah. We've been talking about it, but you made up your mind yet?"