Chapter 33

"It was me." Ben blurted out quietly from behind, "I was the one giving the bandits supplies."

Why? That was his first question, followed by the rest of "five 'W's". Lee's eyes widened. Shock. Horror. Disbelief. After denying it immensely and in such a thorough manner, Ben had been the culprit all along...?! "WHAT?" He managed to splutter.

With Lee's reaction stabbing him, he shook his head and re-covered his face. Lee quickly climbed over to his side of the train and Ben turned to face him with a huge effort, "It's all my fault." He whispered.

He stood there dumbfounded at the teenager's words. The culprit that had caused it to all go to hell, whether purposely or by accident, was standing right in front of him. The person who had caused Carley to die...

"I could kill you...!" Lee raised his voice icily at the boy.

He stammered, unable to respond, "I...I...I..."

Lee threatened in a hushed tone, slowly stepping closer, "Nobody can see us. I can toss you over right now and be done with it!"

Ben cowered away, raising a shaky hand defensively, "No-I-LEE, PLEASE...!"

"...Why shouldn't I?"

He quickly started explaining in an attempt to save himself, "They said they had my friend! I didn't know what to do! LEE, PLEASE!"

Lee continued leaning closer as the traitor's words registered in his mind before finally backing off and settling down somewhat. His fixated glare still remained though. Lee's silence and paused pursuit was enough for Ben to know that he still had a chance.

He continued, "I had to tell someone..."

"I bet you did." Lee spat before storming away from Ben and back towards his original destination.

The more he thought about it, if Ben was unintentionally the perpetrator of the whole incident, wouldn't he technically also be the one at judgemental blame for the loss of Duck and Katjaa? If Ben hadn't done this...if he hadn't been smuggling supplies out to the bandits...if he had just told someone, anyone...! Then the raid wouldn't have happened and Duck would've never gotten bitten which in turn resulted in Katjaa committing suicide. And Carley would've never...

Lee shook his head in frustration. Kenny would definitely not like this. Not one. Little. Bit. He'd probably kill the boy twos time-over. And he was ashamed to admit that he might've helped Kenny do it. So what was he doing, already unconsciously decided in keeping the poor teenager's dreadful secret? He gritted his teeth, trying his best to not hurt something or in particularly someone behind him in a blue varsity hoodie.

Something in the boy's eyes had made Lee realize just how sorry and desperate he was. He had said that his friend had been taken (though if he had just been making up a quick story to save his sorry behind, he was in for it the second Lee found out)and Lee might've acted in the same way. Anyone would've probably chosen to do the same. But Ben's mistake had cost the team four precious people. And it wasn't four less useless mouths to feed. It was far from that. They were all contributing and hard-working members of the group. What was the right thing to do? Was there even one?

Lee looked down. Would Carley want him to just get rid of Ben?

He had made his decision already, hadn't he?

With his hand hovering over the handle of the boxcar door, he sucked in a deep breath. Was his face still frowning? He thought while focusing all of his concentration on straightening out and calming his clouded expression. An unnatural face would only bring about troubling and prodding questions. Plus, he didn't want to worry Clementine. God knew how much stress she had been going through the past...hours.