Chapter 13

During the chaotic scene in the forest clearing, things back at the Travelier Motor Inn were quite calm and peaceful. If it weren't for the deep pang of hunger that all of them felt, they would all probably be somewhat content. Larry hammered with a rock used as a make-shift hammer continuously at the barricade. The barricade had been set up with a bunch of wooden planks, cars, and other useful things they had managed to find in the area. One of them had also been lucky to find some barb wire just for extra protection.

With most of the vehicles and debris out of the way, the lot was quite empty except for the RV and a number of other things, such as a couch, lawn chairs, some barrels, and a large piece of wood that Duck was happily doodling on. On top of the RV, dangerously perched a lawn chair that was used for lookout duty. At the moment, Lilly was on guard, her rifle by her side. Katjaa paced towards Duck to check up on him while Clementine absentmindedly and repeatedly kicked a soccer ball they had scavenged at the empty barrels. When they had arrived at the motor inn three months earlier, the balcony had collapsed, but the group had found some tools and adhesives and restored it to the best of their ability.

Lilly looked around the lot; first at Duck and Katjaa, then Clementine, then her eyes rested upon her father who she smiled fondly at. Suddenly, there was a loud rustling in the leaves, turning Lilly's head. She curiously peered into the leaves, reaching for her rifle and getting ready to shoot. As she concentrated on aiming, the sound of Clementine's soccer ball colliding with the barrels and bouncing back over and over again became like a loud metronome. Lilly looked down at her group and whistled, giving the signal that there might be danger lurking. Everyone ducked down. It was quiet, with only the faint sound of winds through the leaves.

Suddenly, Lee emerged from the brush, surprising Lilly. He began dashing towards the make-shift gates, "Get the gates open! We've got wounded."

Lilly cursed, placing her weapon back down, "Shit. What the hell are they doing?" She scooted off the roof of the RV, heading over to Lee and the newcomers. The rest of the group gathered by him as the scene became messy as everyone began talking at once, wondering what was going on. Katjaa ordered, "Get him into the truck, I'll see what I can do."

"Kat, can you fix him?" Kenny asked worriedly.

"Jesus, Ken! I…I don't know!"

They were interrupted by the loud and frustrated call of Lilly's voice, "Lee! Lee! What the hell?! You can't just be bringing new people here! What are you thinking?!"

Kenny retorted, "Hey, you wanna calm down for a fucking minute?!

Larry spat, "Hey! Watch your mouth!"

Lilly replied angrily, before turning to Lee, "No, I don't! I want to know why you thought bringing more mouths to feed was a good idea!"

"Jesus Christ." Mark expressed.

"He would have died, if we left him!" Lee explained in his defense, his brow furrowing.

Larry scoffed, "So what?"

Lilly shot back at Lee, "We are not responsible for every struggling survivor we come across! We have to focus on our group! Right here. Right now."

Mark cut in, defending Lee, "Come on, Lilly. These are people! People trying to survive just like us. We've gotta stick together to survive!"

"The only reason you're here is because you had food. Enough for all of us. But that food is almost gone, we've got maybe a week's worth left." Lilly replies, turning to the Ben, "And I don't suppose you guys are carrying any groceries, are you?!"

Ben nervously answered, "Uh..no?"

Mark relented, "Fine. You guys fight it out then. Welcome to the family, Kid."