Chapter 28

Carley's red-splattered body hit the muddy ground. Similarly, Lee's heart plummeted. He blinked incomprehensively, wondering and hoping this was all just a bad dream; that he would wake up anytime now and he would be back at the Travelier Motel with everyone. His vision went blurry and he realized that he was starting to tear up. Everybody stared at the fresh corpse. Lilly's eyes also went to her victim, her breath heavy and unsteady. Lee could see that her hand was shaking from what she had done. It was getting harder to breath.

..Why? Why? Why? WHYWHY...?! He thought, snarling as he pinned Lilly's body against the RV's side, shaking the vehicle and rattling the gun. Lee trapped her arms, more so the one holding the cursed weapon, "Drop it!" he half-whispered, half-screamed in her face. Lilly looked dazed. She weakly tilted her head to the side, making sure she still could at least control her hand. Her hand limply released the pistol and it fell loosely to the side. Kenny, Ben and Clementine stood by their murdered comrade's body. "Holy fuck..." Kenny murmured. Ben bent down to see if there was any hope. Any trace of a flicker of life inside the woman's body. Katjaa cried from her passenger seat, hearing the commotion, "Kenny! What's happening?!" 

He responded quickly, "Keep Duck away from the windows! Jesus Christ!" Kenny joined Ben's opposite side, also checking. Clementine stood on the lowest step of the door, silently mourning as she gazed at Carley. Kenny suddenly stood, going to Lee and Lilly's position, "Get in. We're leaving this crazy bitch!"

Lilly spoke under her breath, "She couldn't be trusted, Lee. I swear. Please."

Ben looked up from his crouched form, "What are we going to do with her...?"

"Leave her for the walkers." Kenny answered plainly. With the loud noise that Lilly's gun had produced, there was no doubt going to be trouble lurking in the treacherous growth. There were only two choices really, to either let her come with them or to leave her for the walkers. Lee's decision was almost easy in his mood right now. How could he let the killer of Carly just be allowed to live? It was sick. Back in the meat locker with Kenny and Lilly and Larry.. no that was different. Larry was dead. There was no coming back from a heart attack as severe as that and there was no medicine. It was different. Carly was murdered in plain cold blood. Larry was killed for the sake of the group. He pushed himself off of her, "You're not coming with us."

Her face fell, "I'll die out here."

Lee bent down to scoop up Lilly's dropped weapon. He almost cringed at the touch of the thing that killed her, "I don't care." He replied calmly and cold. Now, without a weapon to defend herself, it made her chances of survival even nuller.

Kenny spoke up for Lee's lack of words, "You're a murderer, Lilly. We can't have you with us."

"I'm a murderer?! You've had Lee with you this whole time!" She revealed.

"I don't care what he did before." He snapped back.

The surprise was clear on her face, "You know?" Her expression remained the same as she looked frantically around. 

"Yeah he told me. And I don't give a shit. If we keep you two with us, how long until you get me?

"...I was trying to protect all of us..." The deep silence of the two men cued her to continue, "I don't have anything left..."

Kenny stared at her strangely, before ignoring her completely, "Get in, Lee. Let's go you guys."

Lilly looked up sadly. It was saddest Lee had ever seen her look, even more than when her father died. If she was looking for pity from him, then she wasn't going to get any. He couldn't forgive her. She watched as Been re-entered the RV. Lee stood for a few seconds, scrutinizing Lilly. Then he shook his head and started walking back up the steps. He took a quick glance at Carly's corpse, before sighing and closed the door. Kenny started the engine. There was the sound of a walker finally starting to approach the area as they began to drive off. Lee looked though the thin cracks between the blinds of the back window. Lilly got off the side of the road and stood in the middle of it, watching them go. Perhaps she could even see him watching her. Suddenly she spun, realizing the walker's presence and took off, running towards the woods. Her form barely became visible as the RV drove and drove. She was gone.