Chapter 9

-Hey there, this is Glenn and uh, I'm kinda in a jam here. Uh, little girl, if you're there, can you put your daddy on the phone? Or on the talkie, or whatever?- Clementine handed it to Lee.

"This is Lee, what's up?" Lee asked, worry touching his features.

-So… I'm down at the motor inn and, well, I-I'm stuck.-

"Stuck?"

Glenn whispered, -Yeah, I, uh, saw a chance to get some supplies for the group and a bunch of the roaming ones got the jump on me. I'm hiding over here but they won't leave.-

Kenny asked, putting his hands on his waist, "What's up?"

"Glenn's trapped down at the motor inn." Lee answered, before talking to Glenn again, "Hey Glenn, we're gonna talk it over and send a group to come get you, all right?"

-Phew, awesome. I'll sit tight 'till then.-

"Sounds good." Lee agreed, before the connection between the two walkies cut off. He turned to Clementine, "I'm going to hold onto this until we get Glenn back, ok? I'll take good care of it."

Kenny cut in, "What do you think?"

"I think Doug's not great around zombies, and you've got your family here. I'll take Carley and her dead-eye down to the motor-inn, get Glenn, and get back here as fast as I can."

"If that's what you want to do…"

"Somebody's got to."

Carley spoke up, "Yeah, I'm in."

"Good. It doesn't sound too bad there right now."

"Let me know as soon as you want to head out. I could use a jog."

Lee walked past Kenny and his family, overhearing Katjaa saying, "We can't let anything happen to Ducky.", and Kenny replying, "I know, hon." He headed over to Carley, striking up a conversation.

"You're a pretty good shot."

"Well you don't fuck with a reporter, especially one that's three days out from her last cup of coffee."

"You ready to head out?"

"You got it. You?"

"Yeah."

"Let's go."

The two of them headed out the alley exit which was in the office and out onto the streets of Macon. Lee knew his way around Macon, so he led Carley to the motor-inn that Glenn was supposedly talking about. It didn't take too long to reach it. As they carefully approached the motor-inn, there was a loud grumbling.

"Shit! Get down!" They hid as one of those things dressed in a varsity jacket stood and turned their way. Fortunately, it didn't pursue them, as it silently stalked away. Lee and Carley peeked up from under their hiding spot; there were several of those monsters in the lot. Suddenly, there was a squeaking as the door to an ice-machine next to a vending-machine opened slightly and closed again.

"Did you see that?" Carley asked anxiously, hoping it was just a trick of the eye.

"Sure did."

The door continued to squeak open and close. "Be ready to shoot." Lee advised, as Carley aimed her gun towards it. The door finally propped over, and Glenn emerged, climbing out as soon as he saw them. "Guys! Oh man, I'm glad you're here."

"Jesus, Glenn!" Carley scolded, shaking her head.

He hopped over the short brick wall and joined his comrades.