Chapter 15

"So, this dairy… you guys really have food?" Mark wondered curiously.

The two brothers, who introduced themselves as Andy and Danny, guided Ben, Mark, Lee, and Carley through an open pathway that zigzagged through the vibrant forest. The season was autumn right now, from the looks of the colorful leaves on the thick branches of the trees. There was a nice breeze in the air, the atmosphere seemed to relax the group, before they remembered to keep their guard up.

"Sure do. We've lost most of the cattle, but we still have lots of milk, butter and cheese stocked up." Andy replied.

Danny continued, "And with the vegetables we grow, we've got plenty of food."

They continued talking about the dairy and its claimed food supply while Lee and Carley trailed behind a safe distance. Carley began, "It's nice to get away from that motel for a while. This Lilly/Kenny thing is starting to get ridiculous. Personally I'd be happier if you started to take charge more."

"You think they'd want me for a leader?"

"Sure. Everybody looks up to you." She reassured, her eyes beaming.

"Well… not everyone thinks I'm so trustworthy."

"Because of your past?" She inquired, her tone becoming more serious, "Does anyone else know?"

"Larry knows."

"Great, that can't be easy."

"Clementine…might know. She was there when we were talking in the drugstore and asked me about it. I lied to her, but…" Lee continued, his voice trailing off at the end.

"What exactly did happen with the senator?"

"You know what happened…"

"I only know what the press was told. I don't know your story."

"Sometimes I wonder if I should talk to the group about it…"

"You don't have to. Whatever happened before things went to hell doesn't matter anymore."

"Not sure everyone would see it that way."

"Maybe you're right. Listen, over the years I've reported on some pretty messed up stuff. I've seen situations like yours a hundred times; it doesn't have to make you a bad man…"

"I really appreciate that."

The conversation between the two ended but the larger group ahead's dragged on; Mark was in the middle of his story, "…I mean, thank God Lee showed up when he did! Right Lee?"

Andy peeked over his shoulder and slowed his pace, matching it with Lee's, "Yeah, why don't you tell us a little more about yourself, Lee?"

His brother also slowed down and both of them were on each of Lee's sides, "Where are ya from?"

"I grew up in Macon." Lee replied.

"Right in the Heart of Georgia, that's what I like to hear!" Andy smiled, taking note, "Y'all seem pretty settled in at that motor inn. Who's running things over there?"

"I am. If you guys have any questions, you come to me."

Carley smiled, happy that Lee was beginning to take charge.

Danny questioned, "How many people ya got over there anyway?"

Lee answered, deciding not to give a specific number, "Enough to defend ourselves."

"Well that's good! It's getting dangerous out there, well, you guys know." Andy commented, "Well, we'd love to get ya all out to the dairy. Like I said, we've got plenty of food, and quite frankly, we could always use an extra helping hand."

Ben, overhearing the statement, peered behind him, "In the summers, I used to help out on a goat farm."

"Yeah, that's great. Everything helps!" Danny nodded.

"Momma's been running the dairy for as long as I can remember but now it's gettin-" Andy began, before being suddenly cut off by a booming and angry voice, "You think you're gonna cut me out of this?!"

Andy ordered with a whisper, "Shit! Get down!"

The group stealthily crept over to the source of the noise, there were two men bickering. These fellows would've been considered normal on first glance, if it weren't for the intimidating black ski-masks they wore. "No one is trying to cut you out of anything!"

The two men continued to argue with eachother. Danny cursed, "Fuckin' bandits."

"Who?"

Ben whispered, "Those look like the people who raided my camp."

Lee turned to Andy, "Who are they?"

"Shh. Fucking assholes is who they are."

Carley examined the scene, "There's only two of them."

Danny disagreed, "Oh no, there's a lot more…"

The two bandits seemed to be angrily disputing about food. It wasn't hard to hear them from their loud and furious voices. The argument began to increase.

"…Yeah, and you know what, we ate it all! What are you gonna fucking do about it?"

Andy reassured the hiding group, "Don't worry. Danny and I have ya covered if something happens, but let's just wait this out and hope they move on."

All of a sudden, one of the bandits burst and raised his leg up to his chest and struck the other one. "Fuck you!" Then, he aimed his weapon and shot the man in the head. Ben gasped. The wounded bandit fell to the ground limply, obviously dead. But that wasn't enough for the other one; he stomped over to the corpse and began to repeatedly shoot the man's already dead body, "Fuck you! Fuck you!"

Then the bandit seemed to be satisfied and began to walk away, only to peer over his shoulder, "Asshole."

The group couldn't believe their eyes. Carley expressed, "Jesus…"

Andy shook his head remorsefully, "The world out here has gone to shit. Come on, let's get to the dairy where it's safe."

The group heeded his suggestion and they began to follow him away. Lee stood there for a moment, glancing at the dead man who wouldn't become a walker. Then, he turned to catch up with his comrades.

They continued along the long and winding pathway through the forest. The remainder of the trip was mostly silent, except for a few mumbles and fumbles. It wasn't too long before they reached the boundaries of the dairy.