The meeting(pre-smut)

disclaimer: everything that happens here and in the rest of the story is fully consensual.

"Listen Eddie, it's not that big of a deal. I don't know why you're so nervous about talking to Steve," Dustin exclaimed.

"I'm not, It's just embarrassing to ask for his help."

"Do you wanna play DND or not? Priorities, Eddie, priorities" Dustin said, snapping his fingers in his face.

"Whatever, whatever Henderson." he mumbled, batting away his fingers.

The both of them hopped up Steve's front stairs, one more nervous and slow than the other. Eddie hoped deep in his heart that he wasn't home, but at the same time, hoping he got to see Steve around.

Dustin who was already trailing ahead rang the doorbell to Steve's massive home. The lawn was well decorated and just starting to bloom in the early Hawkins spring. Eddie felt rather small in comparison; after all, his modest trailer was nothing next to the nearly mentioned sized home.

Still distracted by the landscape, he didn't notice Steve pop through the door.

"Henderson!" Steve exclaimed, chest bumping the must shorter freshman and slightly throwing him back. "What are you two doing around here?" he asked, crossing his armsplayfully and leaning against the door frame. Steve glanced over at Eddie who stood frozen; his glance only freezing him up more and sending a slight shiver up his spine.

"I was hoping maybe Eddie could tell you. I've got a thing right about now," Dustin said with fake urgency. He gave Eddie a wink before sprinting down the front before Eddie could stop him.

"Dustin, wait!" Eddie said, half chasing him down the stairs. "Dude!"

"Sorry man!" he exclaimed with a mischievous grin.

Eddie slowly turned back with a nervous smile plastered on his face.

"He's so weird," Steve said nonchalantly, and Steve invited him in.

"I- I can make it quick-"

"Dude, it's fine," steve chuckled. "Come on in."

Reluctantly and checkin g back to see if Dustin maybe returned, Eddie gave in and stepped in to Steve's home. He followed Steve into the living room; he spoke to him but Eddie couldn't process what he was saying due to the intensity of his nerves.

He was standing alone in the same room as the infamous Steve Harrinton; a legend he only heard stories about and talked to on the rare occasion he was picking up a movie from the place Steve worked. He saw him in the halls at school, but he had never really spoken to him. And to be honest, Eddie could barely take his eyes off him whenever he was around. He felt his stomach dislodged and his forehead fill with sweat. He was sure he was just impressed or perhaps even jealous; but now that he was face to face with him, he realized those weren't the things he was feeling. He knew it was more.

"What can I do for you?" Steve asked, sitting across from Eddie on a living room couch.

"I'm one of Dustin's friends, as I'm sure you've realized," Eddie stuttered.

"I've seen you around," Steve chuckled as he leaned back.

"As you might know, Lucas is deciding to play in the big game instead of our DND team. And Dustin told me you play-"

"You want me to join your team?"

"Just for the night," Eddie told him. "If you want of course. We'd really appreciate it."

Without answering his question with a yes or no, instead Steve stood and sauntered over to the kitchen. "Can I offer you a drink, Eddie?" he offered, already grabbing two glasses from the kitchen cabinets.

"Um, sure," he said. Before Eddie could bring up the question again, a glass filled with ice was placed gingerly in front of him.

"You don't have to drive home, right?"

"No, no, I uh, I walked."

"Good." Steve poured him a touch of liquor and to himself as well, clinking their glasses before Eddie even had the opportunity to pick him up.

In that moment, Eddie realized the game Steve was playing. And maybe- just maybe- it would be worth it play along.