As the world falls down

The cars soft exhaust caused a vibration to ring through the cars interior. Eddie felt it tremble throughout his body- though he noted his nerves may come from his hand intertwining with Steve's.

The country road Steve brought them down was leading to a 'suprise,' though Eddie couldn't fathom what could be so interesting this far back in Hawkins.

The stereo sang out David Bowie's voice gently. It rang throughout the car; and the two were comfortable in the silence between them. The sky above was beginning to darken; the sun on its way to setting.

There's such a sad love

Deep in your eyes a kind of pale jewel

Open and closed

Within your eyes

I'll place the sky

Within your eyes

Eddie turned down the stereo. "Where the hell are we going?" Eddie asked again, impatiently.

"Jesus Munson, have you ever heard of what surprise means?" he chuckled, looking over at Eddie.

"Whatever," eddie said, turning away with fully blushed cheeks. 

Steve, after a full 20 minutes of driving, pulled his lowrider off the dirty road and onto a backroad trail. They took an unbeaten incline to the top of a grassy hill.

"Where are we?"

"Take a look," Steve said, rushing to open the car door for Eddie. Once again they joined hands; butterflies jolted awake in Eddie's stomach while Steve pulled him up to the very top.

Eddie's jaw dropped when he was presented with Hawkins. But It wasn't the dull trailer park he lived in, or the quaint street corner by the school. Instead, he gazed down at the vibrant down and its now shining lights as the sun crept behind a hill across the valley. Small townhouses became illuminated and street lights turned on to create a chorus of light. The movie theater's vibrant sign turned on to reveal its name in Neon.

Car flashlights lit the streets in front of him as the sleepy town became even sleepier. He could see Steve's house below, pointing excitedly once he saw it.

"Steve, this is incredible!" Eddie exclaimed, pulling Steve closer to the edge of the cliff.

"Don't fall," he joked, pulling Eddie's back to meet his chest. Steve held onto him tight; the both of them entranced with the magnificent view of their hometown.

"Maybe Hawkins isn't so ugly," he remarked, holding tight onto Steve's arms. They dropped to sit on the grass, now less green but just as soft. They spoke softly to each other, listening to car horns and police sirens.

"You are such a beautiful person, Steve harrington. What did I do to deserve you?"

"Please, I don't deserve-"

"Please don't throw me with that bullshit. You are everything Steve. You could have anything you want," Eddie laughed.

"I guess I can. I did get exactly what I wanted."

And in that moment, while Eddie rested in Steve's lap, he reached up to kiss his soft lips, hearing the words of David Bowie sing in his ear.

There's such a fooled heart

Beatin' so fast

In search of new dreams

A love that will last

Within your heart

I'll place the moon

Within your heart

"I think I love you, Steve," Eddie said finally, pulling away for just a moment. "I know we haven't been together all that-"

Steve ran his finger over Eddie's mouth. "I was hoping you'd say that. I love you too, Eddie munson."

And they kissed again, and Eddie wished this moment could be captured or used for a romance scene in a movie. He and Steve would be the stars; two lovers who defied the odds and fell in love.

And in that moment, Eddie nor Steve would rather be there with each other rather than anywhere else in the world.