Chapter 3

I had been hearing about the press coverage of my divorce all day but hadn't actually seen any of it until lunch when I finally built up the courage to look at the NY Times website. Apparently my divorce ranked above the death of a soldier and starving children as it was the main headline. Everyone seemed shocked at the news of our divorce the headline read 'New York's perfect family ripped apart'. The article consisted of an image of myself and Trent at the park last week alongside an image of my husband grim faced leaving his offices yesterday. Apart from the images the article just pretty much just contained questions on how nobody noticed our discontent with each other.

While I had been reading the article I failed to notice Tatiana sneak back in to the room so when I looked up I jumped in fright at her sudden appearance, Tatiana just laughed before saying " I'm not that scary, Bella"

"Oh haha, Tiana. What brings you to my office anyway?" I tried to joke knowing full well why she was here, she wanted the dirt on why Charles has finally decided to grant me a divorce.

Tatiana raised her eyebrow knowing I was avoiding the topic before asking, "Really?"

"Ok, ok. I don't know what finally made him give in and sign the divorce papers, I'm actually pretty curious since the image of the perfect family has always been rather important to him. I could lie to you and say I was ecstatic about my divorce but I'm not, it just means the man I love is never coming back," I whispered the last part as my eyes blurred with tears and before I knew it they were streaming down my cheeks.

"Oh, sweetie," Tatiana cooed as she ran round the table and encircled me in her arms as I cried on her shoulder. She rubbed my back trying to soothe me.

Once my tears ran dry I lifted my head and looked up at my best friend with a small sad smile on my face letting her know I was done for now. She stepped back with a sympathetic look on her face before retreating back to her seat.

I dried my face with a tissue before I admitted shakily "I love him so much but I can't do this anymore, it's killing me."

My heart ached in my chest just like every other time I thought of how happy we were when we were an actual family. I remembered the sparkle in his eye every time he looked at Trent and the look of such love he gave me. That all changed though a week after his mother appeared at our house, he turned cold and refused to spend time with Trent and was rude to me. I looked back on the memories of who he used to be with such longing that it almost broke me. I made it through the first year of his new personality with the hope my husband would come back to me. I was nothing without him.

His signature on the divorce papers brought it all home the man I loved was never coming back, with this realisation I wiped my eyes and cleaned up my face before meeting Tatiana's wondering gaze with a new resolve.

"I have lived in Charles shadow for too long I may have said I was going to become my own person but I have done nothing to gain my independence," I answered in a strong voice.

Tatiana gave me another sympathetic look before replying to my comment, "Honey, you have the right to be sad."

This pissed me off, "I don't want to be sad, he doesn't deserve my sadness."

"If you're really ready to move on, what are you going to do?" she questioned.

I sat back in my chair before answering, "Well first of all, I'm going to do that interview then I'm going to the art gala tonight."

Tatiana's eyes went wide at my last comment before choking out, "The art gala? As in the art gala being hosted by your beloved mother-in-law?"

"Well yeah. Why should I hide out from them, I have just as much right to attend social functions as them?" I enquired in a disbelieving tone. My own best friend thought I should stand back and let them walk all over me.

Her eyes widened even more, if that was possible, realising her mistake, "I didn't mean it like that. I just think you should start off slowly not dive in head first to shark infested waters."

"Why not face them head on? You and Jay are going to be there anyway." I tried to justify my decision. Tatiana did not come from a wealthy family but after being roommates in college I brought her home where she met my older brother and fell in love and the rest is history.

"Your mother's not going to like this and yes me and Jay are going to be there. I guess it would be good for the family to put on a united front against them. What are you going to do with Trent?" This is why I loved her so much she always supported my decisions, even if she thought I was being stupid. Her speech made me smile before I registered her question.

I thought about where Trent could stay for a few hours while I attended the gala then I thought what the hell, "I will bring him with me, he always wanted to be my date" I laughed.

This brought a smile to Tatiana's face thinking of her favourite nephew. Trent loved his Aunt Tiana and Uncle Jay just as much as they loved him. Once Charles had stopped being the father he used to be to Trent, Jay stepped up and became a father figure to him; he took Trent to basketball games and to play in the park whenever he had time.

The door opened and my assistant Leila walked in with a wary look. Tatiana stood up and left my office with a smile, knowing I was fine now.

When the door closed, Leila finally spoke, "So, how did it go?" she asked in a timid voice.

I gave her a weird look before answering "Fine, why wouldn't it?"

"You mean after him signing your divorce papers, you had a conversation with him without screaming?" she enquired shocked.

Now I was just confused, "What are you talking about?"

"Charles came up to see you about 15 minutes ago," she said in a 'Duh' tone.

Charles was here? Why didn't he speak to me? I wondered then it all clicked I was talking to Tiana then and if times add up I was pretty much pouring my heart out to her.

What did he hear that made him flee?

..................................................................................................

Vote.Comment.Follow

Trent^^^^