Chapter 16

"I haven't been near that car since I left it at Charles hotel," I admitted to the inspector.

The inspector shuffled the papers in front of which was probably the evidence report before responding, "Said car was found abandoned in a burger joint car park with scrapes consistent with the damage done to the other car and the only fingerprints collected within the car are yours."

"Of course my fingerprints were in the car it was the car I used on a daily basis up until a couple of months ago but I can assure you I had nothing to do with the hit and run" I assured him.

The inspector cleared his throat before continuing, "We have you on tape getting into the car and the use of your ID."

"We'd like to see this footage," my lawyer stated looking up from where he was writing his notes.

With that two cops rolled in a TV and sat it in front of the table we were sat at before leaving. The inspector took the remote and pressed play the footage started at around midnight last night, he forwarded it to around half twelve when sure enough a figure stepped out of the elevator dressed in a long dark trench coat that was the first sign it wasn't me, I would never wear that. The woman had long brown hair the same as me from what I could tell but the camera was too out of focus to catch a face. She continued on route to the car swinging the handbag, which was indeed mine. She put the handbag in the car and seated herself behind the wheel, the car passed the camera on the way out of the garage and I caught a bit of light blonde or even grey hair on camera under the wig she wore, got you it was my beloved ex-mother-in-law.

My lawyer took a moment to think before speaking, "You are working on a theory not facts that woman could have been anyone and you have no witnesses to suggest it was Ms. Van Gard."

"The person had a striking resemblance to her, her fingerprints are the only ones in the car, need I say more?" the inspector enquired.

The lawyer straightened before meeting the inspector head on, "The only thing in that woman's appearance that links her to Isabella is the hair and millions of people have that hair colour in Manhattan alone and as for the bag and ID they could have easily been taken."

"The fingerprints make her a prime suspect and she has no witnesses as to her whereabouts apart from her son," the inspector finished standing up, gathering his papers and leaving my lawyer and I to chat.

My lawyer turned to a clear page in his notebook before turning to me and beginning his questions, "Who was the last person to see you last night apart from Trent?"

"My driver dropped us off at home between eleven and half eleven," I answered.

My lawyer scribbled that down before looking up and said, "And your driver was the last person to see you at home other than Trent?"

"Yes," I assured him.

He wrote something down then continued questioning me, "Was anyone in the room with you between twelve and one this morning?"

"Yes, Trent slept beside me last night." I informed him.

He noted that down and enquired, "Do you know anyone who would want to get you in trouble?"

"No, not that I know of." I stated knowing if I had told him about my ex-husband and his family he would rush off to tell them.

He put away his things and stood up ready to leave before turning back to me and saying, "Ok, thank you, Ms. Van Gard. If you think of anything else do not hesitate to call," and with a smile he left.

One of the cops who must have been standing guard entered to room to lead me back to my cell, he cuffed my hands without any argument from me and guided me back to my cell.

I entered the cell and sat on the empty bench not taking any notice of the others. My ex-mother-in-law had got what she wanted me out of the way for Charles to get Trent and if this charge stuck like it looked like it was going to then I don't have a chance at winning against him. With the realization I may have just lost my son today a tear rolled down my face followed by another and another until I was sobbing.

That night was one of the worst of my life the bench was uncomfortable and I was worried about the fate of my little boy so I had a pretty much sleepless night of tossing and turning until the sun came up and I gave up trying to sleep. I sat there in a daze wondering what I was going to do without my baby boy when I was brought out of it by my name being called.

At the door to the cell stood my brother and my lawyer along with a cop, the cop opened the cell letting me out. The moment I stepped out I was engulfed in a bone-crushing hug from Jayden.

 "We've all been so worried about you, Trent's going nuts," My brother said into my ear still hugging me.

I stepped back and looked up at his smiling face, "What are you doing here?"

"I posted bail your free until your hearing in a weeks time but first you have Trent's custody hearing to get through its in two days," my brother admitted.

With that I broke down and started sobbing before I blubbered, "I lost him."

"No, you haven't you're a great mum and if the judge can't see that he's an idiot," Jayden tried to comfort me drawing me into his arms as he led us out of the police station.

I was blinded by the bright sunlight and startled when I heard a shriek of delight followed by someone barreling into me and hugging onto my bottom half. I looked down to see Trent and picked him up hugging him to me tightly. I have no idea what I'd do if the hearing didn't go my way in a couple of days.

.......................................................................................................................