Chapter 15

The police station was a big building made of sandstone located downtown. We arrived fifteen minutes after we'd left my mom's apartment in the Upper East Side. The cop opened the door and helped me out and began escorting me up the steps to the entrance when the front doors swing open revealing my Margaret Van Der Houston, my ex-mother-in-law.

"Oh, dear. Isabella, what have you gotten yourself into now?" she asked with a fake sad smile on her face as she walked down the steps towards me.

I smiled knowing her game, "Nothing much just a good old hit and run," I admitted aware of all the cameras and reporters currently surrounding us.

"I told you I would get rid of you if need be," she whispered in my ear leaning close so no one else would hear.

I backed away smiling before nodding and speaking, "Thank you for the concern, Margaret. But I will be fine."

"Just looking out for my only grandchild's mother," she revealed playing it for the cameras as she stepped around us and continued down the steps where her car waited at the bottom.

The cop pulled on my arm to get me moving again as all the photographers snapped shots of me being arrested. The huge cop let go of my arm and opened the door for me and motioned for me to walk through.

I walked into New York's busiest police station to find it in a shambles there were people everywhere. A huge oak wood desk stood at the front, ah this must be the check-in, I thought as we waited in line. Behind the front desk were loads of smaller more cluttered desks and at the back were the cells, which were already pretty full.

We got to the front of the line and the cop an old gruff man behind the desk didn't even look up as he spoke, "Name, Date of Birth, Age and Crime."

"Isabella Van Gard, fifteenth of May nineteen eighty-two, thirty-two and hit and run," he looked up startled as I said my name.

He laughed, "You're the girl that was married to Van Der Houston boy, right?"

"That would be me," I snarled not liking being known for whom I was married to.

This made him laugh even harder, "Your just like your daddy. Great man he was."

"Wait you knew my dad?" I asked confused.

He straightened, "Why yes I did, he was captain here for years before he died," he stated proudly.

"Oh, yeah. So, he was. I forgot sorry it's just been a while since he passed away," I explained.

He smiled sadly, "I'm sorry. I remember you and your brother coming to visit he always told me you would do great things and by great things I thought he meant win the Nobel peace prize or something not land up in here."

"This is all just a big mistake so if I could talk to an inspector or whatever and get this sorted out?" I asked him as my brother and Jake came rushing through the door.

His smile fell off his face as he turned to me with a hard look in his eye, "No need to lie, dear."

"What's going on?" Jayden squawked.

I hushed him and looked at the old cop, "You just spouted all this inspirational stuff about my daddy and you really think I'd let him down by getting arrested in his own precinct."

"Oh, I forgot dad worked here," Jayden admitted.

The old man paid no mind to us he just continued writing then nodded to the cop who brought me in. The cop took my arm and moved me towards the cells.

"Don't I get a phone call?" I wondered as Jayden and Jake started protesting at the man on the front desk.

The cop opened one of the cells and motioned me to go in before shutting and locking it and smiling at me sympathetically before informing me, "You will get your phone call once your paperwork goes through."

I turned to look at the cell I had been placed into it wasn't too bad there are three other women in here with me, one looks like a first class whore dressed up in a school girl uniform with her blonde hair in pigtails and 5" heels, another looks a bit sketchy in all leather just sitting staring at the wall and the other looks like a business woman passed out drunk. I sat on the bench across from the passed out woman waiting for my phone call. Listening to my brother scream and shout about getting me out of here.

The walls were white, once but they'd changed to a yellowy colour. I sat staring at the wall thinking of how I was going to get myself out of this mess; if this charge stuck I would never get Trent.

A while later my name was called from a tall dark man dressed in a suit he opened the cell door and let me step out before offering me his hand, "Hi, I'm Inspector Jacobsen. I'll be talking you through your case." He said.

"Thank god I have no idea what the hell I'm supposed to have done," I told him.

He led me to an interview room and I sat across the table from him and my lawyer entered the room and sat beside me.

"Ok, Isabella you are here because a hit and run took place in the early hours of this morning by your car and yours are the only fingerprints found in or on your car." He began.

I smiled noticing my ex-mother-in-laws first mistake, "I was asleep at home then and my car was in the hotels underground parking." I stated.

"You are registered for two cars one was as you say in your hotels car park but the other was gone," the inspector told me.

I was confused, "What other car?"

"The car you keep at your husband's residence," the inspector finished in a 'Duh' tone.

Ah, that would explain it why I had no I idea about the car it was the car Charles bought me that I made him take when he left.

..........................................................................................

Let me know what you think!