Chapter 18

The lawyer left after our discussion on tomorrows hearing, deciding we would have to see how my ex-husband's lawyer was going to approach the subject of my impending charge before we could come up with a defence. I was worried about the output of tomorrow if Trent went to stay with his father he'd grow up governed by the restrictions set by his grandmother and he would be spoilt. I wasn't stupid I have seen first hand what money does to people I mean look at all three Van Der Houston's, I don't want that for Trent.

We all decided to stay at my mother's for dinner to save us having to travel home and make dinner. My mum wanted the full family for what could be our last meal together if tomorrow didn't go my way of me and due to my arrest there was a very good chance of that happening. It upset me thinking of the worst tomorrow so I tried to put it to the back of my mind and spend what could be my last night with Trent happy.

Walking into the dining room, I saw that everyone else was already seated and was waiting for me. I quickly took my place and bowed my head as my mother said grace before digging into the yummy looking food in front of me.

"Did you see the Lakers game last night?" Jake asked trying to keep the mood light.

I smiled at him in thanks before answering, "No, what happened?"

"Oh, mom, it was amazing," and with that Trent went on to depict the game with help from my brother and Jake. I smiled at how happy Trent was and how Jayden and Jake interacted with him showed me the love they had for my little man.

My mother and Tatiana looked on as they talked about the game with small smiles on their faces. I'm glad I brought Tatiana home that weekend she made my brother so happy and he did the same for her. This was what family felt like all of us sitting around the table smiling and laughing.

I decided to stay at my mother's that night figuring it be easier since she lives closer to the courthouse. I tucked Trent into bed and kissed his forehead, hoping this was not the last time I would be able to say goodnight to my little man. He immediately fell into a deep sleep with an innocent smile across his face, how I wish he wouldn't grow up to see how cruel the world really is.

With Trent sleeping soundly in his room, I made my way back downstairs into the lounge where my mother, Tatiana and my brother were. Jake had said his goodbyes after dinner and headed home. I took the seat next to my mother across from my brother and Tatiana.

"Is he asleep?" Jayden enquired.

I nodded as Tatiana said, "I remember when the world was that innocent, I wish it never changed or we didn't have to grow up."

"Yeah, growing up is a pain," I laughed.

We all laughed at the thought of us never growing up and the world still being that same amazing place, we thought it was when we were kids.

My mum turned to me placing her hand on top of my clasped ones, "Are you going to be ok?"

"Honestly, if it doesn't go my way tomorrow. No, but I will have to live with it and if it means I can ever get him back then I'll do it," I told her as a tear rolled down my cheek.

Tatiana moved to sit on my other side trying to comfort me, "Honey, I'm so sorry. Nobody in they're right mind would try to take that little boy away from you. You're an amazing mother."

I giggled through my tears before telling her, "Thank you. You're going to be an amazing mother."

"Wow, slow down there not quite yet," Tatiana chuckled not catching my brother's pained look but I caught it and by the look on my mother's face she did as well.

I tried to encourage her but said jokingly, "Don't wait too long or you won't be able to meet your grand-babies."

"Haha, you're right, but lets focus on you at the moment," she deferred.

We all sat in silence contemplating the events of the next day and what the outcome would mean whether it, be good or bad. The ping of the elevator interrupted our thoughts. My mum got up to go see who it was but only got a couple of steps when Liam walked into the lounge.

"Hey, guys, sorry I had to leave earlier," Liam said as he hugged and kissed Tatiana and my mother on the cheek.

He did the same to me stepping back as I spoke, "What's up?"

"Nothing much, just wanted to see you before tomorrow," Liam admitted.

My brother stood up and went over to Tatiana as he said, "Well we better get going we'll see you tomorrow."

"Oh, ok," I muttered as my brother came over to hug me goodbye as well as Tatiana who hugged Liam and my mum.

Tatiana came over to me and pulled me into a tight hug before whispering in my ear, "Don't worry you'll be fine," and with that they left.

My mother excused herself to go to bed leaving Liam and I alone. I smiled up at him but apparently he never bought it as he raised his eyebrow.

"What?" I asked.

He smiled sadly and told me in a gentle voice, "You can drop the façade now it's just you and me."

He always knew and with that the tears I had been holding back for hours started to leak out of my eyes I began to fall to the floor only for Liam to catch me and hold me to him.

I was a sobbing mess as he sat down with me in his lap. I have no idea how long we sat there before I felt myself being carried and placed on my bed with him crawling in behind me. Liam held me as I cried myself to sleep, not offering me any sympathetic words just being there for me and that's all I needed at the moment. He is my best friend and I need him right now.

................................................................................................................... 

Vote.Comment.Follow