Chapter 14

Trent had worn himself out with all the crying by the time I reached the car and had fallen asleep. I opened the back door placing him in his seat and strapping him in. I stepped back closing the door and I caught Charles storming out of the building over to his limo, 'serves you right, you idiot' I thought trying to force Trent out of school and embarrassing him.

I drove to my mother's house to find everyone still there, Jayden came out to the car to grab Trent and take him to the guest room to lie down. Walking into the house I noticed my mum fussing about with her flowers, a nervous habit of hers, Tatiana was scrolling through her phone and Jake and Liam were watching the news, which was showing coverage of the scene at the school.

"You know it was even better live," I joked walking up behind them.

Liam smiled and Jake laughed before responding, "Yeah, we noticed. I didn't even notice you left until I seen you on the TV."

"Thanks. Anyway if that doesn't show a judge that Trent belongs with me I don't know what will," I told them.

The news anchor suddenly announced there was breaking news and it changed to a room full of reporters facing the three Van Der Houston's who sat at a table with microphones up front.

"Live from the Van Der Houston's appeal for Trent," the reporter informed us.

Charlotte smiled out at her audience before clearing her throat for their attention and started, "As you all know my brother and his wife recently divorced and stuck in the middle of this is their, son, Trent this left the poor boy confused in what he wanted this was shown earlier today at the school."

"Wow she's good but I'm better," Tatiana admitted as a reporter in the front row raised their hand.

Charlotte nodded allowing the question, "Bella and Charles have been separated for months and Trent has not showed signs of this he is still the same happy little boy that is before his father gets involved. How do you explain this?"

"How dare you?" Margaret screeched at the poor reporter but she was quickly silenced by one of the event organisers.

Charles decided to take this one, "Isabella has brainwashed the boy against me."

"Children of a young age are not so easily swayed especially that young an age. So it is pretty much impossible for your ex-wife to have brainwashed Trent against you without him cracking." The statement came from the back of the room.

The camera zoomed in on the person who spoke and I whispered in surprise "Cole!" this grabbed everyone's attention.

"You know him?" Tatiana asked curiously.

I watched as they finished the interview pretty quickly after that before answering, "Yeah, he's that reporter that I keep seeing everywhere."

"Wow," Jake said.

"You can say that again," Jayden admitted taking it all in.

They were interrupted from grilling me further by a little voice, "Mummy, what's going on?"

"Sweetie, you better come sit down and I'll explain," I told him shifting over to the couch to sit down.

He joined me and everyone else made excuses to leave the room and I began, "Honey, you know Mummy and Daddy love you very much?"

He nodded his head in response.

I continued, "Well there is this thing called custody everyone under the age of eighteen has it, it means whoever has custody over them they live with. Well I agreed to share custody with Daddy so he could see you some nights and weekends but Daddy didn't like that and now he wants full custody of you, so you'll have to go live with him if the judge grants it."

"But I don't want to," he stated.

I giggled at his pouty face before becoming serious, "I know, sweetie. But mummy is going to try her hardest to keep you."

Suddenly Trent burst into tears taking me by surprise, I wrapped my arms around him pulling him onto my lap, rocking him back and forth trying to calm him, as he sobbed into my shoulder.

He pulled back, "I don't want to go. I want to stay with you." He cried.

"I know, sweetheart, I know," I told him as I kept rocking him as tears slid down my face at the thought of him gone.

We cried together for a while until Jayden came back in the room and hugged us. I pulled back wiping my own tears followed by Trent's.

Jayden bent down to talk to Trent, "Don't cry little man it might never happen."

Trent hopped down hugging his Uncle as the doorbell rang. Tatiana rushed through the lounge into the hall to open the door.

I heard a murmur of voices, before Tatiana shouted, "Emm Isabella, it's for you?"

I had no idea who it would be as I got up from the couch and made my way to the entrance hall followed by Jayden and Trent its safe to say I was surprised. In front of me stood the police.

At my appearance the first one a rather huge man stepped up and spoke in an authoritative tone, "Isabella Van Gard, you are under arrest for a hit and run performed at one o'clock this morning."

"What are you talking about, I was in bed at that time?" I tried to reason.

He took a few steps until he stood in front of me and said, "Ma'am, will you come with us please?"

"Sure, the sooner this is sorted out the better." I smiled at the man. As I went to walk past him to the cruiser, he stopped me.

"We need to cuff you," he informed me. I turned around letting him cuff me figuring I'd be back within the hour.

Trent started pulling at my sleeve, "Mummy, what's going on?"

"Just a little misunderstanding. I'll be back before you know it, sweetheart" I told him.

The policemen led me out to the cruiser and opened the back door for me and I got in. I looked back to see Trent standing there with his face streaked in tears and my brother and Jake racing to their cars to follow me no doubt.

 ........................................................................................

Don't forget to let me know what you think!