Handy Man

"Cobalt?" A breeze floated in, as I'd opened the door, sending a chill down my spine. I looked to the toolbox held firmly in his hand and the attire he wore, a dirty white shirt and steel-capped boots. There was definitely no mistaking what he was here for.

He seemed to be assessing me as well as his eyes took in my pajamas. I blushed, tugging the hem of my shirt down as the wind had blown it up.

His smile was tight, eyes filled with an unknown emotion. "You going to let me in?"

"Oh!" I quickly drew inside. "Sorry, uh, come in."

He stepped inside and I shut the door after him. The click echoed loudly, setting an air of awkwardness around us. I scratched my arm uncomfortably and darted my eyes around the room, thinking hard of what to say next.

"Well, did you want to show me what I'm fixing?"

"Yes!" I jumped, blushing again at how I'd reacted. "It's just upstairs."

Questions swirled inside of me as I began to walk upstairs. Why him of all people? He didn't even appear surprised to see me, did he know? Do I offer him food? God, I'm in my pajamas, I wouldn't be surprised if this spreads throughout school.

Heart sinking, I climbed the last few steps and pointed down the hall. "So, it's the last door on the left. If you need anything, I suppose you can just call-"

"Keep me company?"

I'd already turned toward my room before he'd uttered those three words. Abruptly stopping, I faced him slowly, and assessed him.

Dark eyes, sincere and unyielding, stared back. The corner of his mouth slanted up in an attempt to smile, but his stance was dominant. So many mixed signals and so little time to read them all.

"Uh, I've... Biology homework?" Rude. God, I sounded so rude. If he didn't hate me, I had enough hate for myself to help him out.

"Please?" The other corner of his mouth tilted. A smile. Just the slight lifting of the corners of his mouth was enough to melt hearts.

My resolve crumbled. Whatever defense mechanism I had disappeared.

Like an obedient puppy, I muttered a small, "okay," and trailed behind him. 

Idiot, what if this is a ploy? He could be using you. This could be a joke to him. 

The cynic inside me had a point. And yet, he was so sincere.

Confused didn't begin to cover the emotions swirling within me. It was as if I wanted to trust him, yet there were no reason too. The sudden interaction, care for my well-being and spotting him in the hospital? I never believed in coincidences, and I wasn't ready to start.

So deep in thought, when Cobalt had opened the door, I felt as though I were struck when my eyes lifted.

Directly before me, a mirror small rectangular mirror reflected a sweaty pale, shaken girl holding an orange bottle. A knock, loud and firm, from downstairs echoed, causing the girl to drop the bottle, the sound of pills spilling and scattering over the floor resounding over and over in my mind.

I screamed.

"Teal!" Cobalt had his hands either side of my head, and his eyes, so deep and so blue, cut through my conscience like a knife. His head so close to mine as he peered at me caused his breath to fan across my lips. Concern flashed  in those deep eyes of those. I had seen it.

Had I seen it?

"Teal, look at me."

My mind cleared, focusing on only him. His voice, deep, certain and clear, had centred me and brought me down to earth.