𝟎𝟎𝟖. make me lose control

CODE BLUE

008. MAKE ME LOSE CONTROL

season two, episodes three and four

dedicated to tory_15 <3

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆

TW: miscarriage

────────

"MY LOVE LIFE IS A MESS," DEREK SAID AS HE APPROACHED HIS FRIEND IN THE HOSPITAL LOBBY. "TELL ME WHAT TO DO."

"I won't tell you what to do," Joanna said, her voice completely dry. Emily was still refusing to talk to her, and as the days passed by, she was more and more sure that keeping the baby was the right thing to do. 

She grabbed the cup of hot cocoa Derek had brought her, smiling in gratitude. It was for moments like this she knew Derek was the best friend she could possibly want. Today was her mother's death anniversary, and he didn't have to ask her if she was okay, when he knew she wasn't. Instead, he chose to bring her a cup of her favorite drink, which reminded her of home, and pretend nothing was going on.

"Everything's gonna be fine," Derek said more to himself than to Joanna, knowing the girl could use a distraction. "Addison will go back to New York. Emily and I'll start over, everything's gonna be fine."

"Derek," Joanna said in a barely audible tone. "I think I want to keep the baby." She watched in horror as he turned speechless. "Please say something."

"Can you put your cocoa on the ground?" He asked. She cocked an eyebrow at him, and he added gruffly. "Just do it."

She complied. As soon as her precious hot chocolate was safe on the ground, Derek swept her off her feet, spinning her as he held her tightly. "I was hoping you would say that," he said, smiling from ear to ear, still refusing to let her go.

Joanna laughed into his shoulder, finally allowing herself to believe that maybe for once, happiness could be just around the corner.

He let her down gently on the ground, laying his hand gently on her stomach. "I love you," he said to Joanna. "You are my best friend, and I couldn't wish for a better mother for my kid."

Joanna smiled as he kissed her cheek. "I love you too," she said with a sweet smile. "But come on. I can't be late for rounds."

He nodded, following her into the elevator, without being able to wipe the smile off his face. As the doors were closing, the Chief entered last second, wearing a hat that made him look like a pimp. Joanna and Derek exchanged an amused look before Derek spoke up. "Nice hat."