𝟎𝟐𝟐. seventeen seconds

CODE BLUE

CODE BLUE

022. SEVENTEEN SECONDS

season two, episodes twenty-five and twenty-six

────────

"SHE IS SLEEPING WITH SOMEONE, AND YOU DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER TELLING ME?" Derek questioned the second he found Joanna sitting at the bar with Chris, the three of them watching Emily giggle as she and Jackson played pool together.

"What in the world makes you think that you had the right to know anything about Em's sex life?" Joanna replied. "Besides, you would have wanted me to come to you and say, hey, Derek, FYI, your ex is moving on?"

"You should have told me," Derek said through gritted teeth.

"Derek," Christopher said gently. "You lost the right to know these things when you chose Addison."

The neurosurgeon didn't say anything as he turned around and moved to play darts with Bruke, most definitely picturing Jackson's face on the target.

"I think he is mad," Joe, the ever-wise bartender, commented.

"He isn't mad at us," Joanna said. "He is mad at himself. He made a mistake, and he doesn't know how to get himself out of it."

A few hours later, outside the bar, Derek found, much to his shock, Emily Hale sitting at the steps of a building, smoking of all things.

"For a doctor, that's a really stupid decision," he said, approaching her, but not bothering to sit down.

"Well, stupid decisions are my thing," she replied.

"That Avery kid is just the newest one—"

"What did you just say?" Emily interrupted.

Derek, still not noticing his mistake, continued. "We have broken up for what? Four months? And you are already head over heels with some stupid nepo-baby who probably can't tell his head from ass."

"You are married, you asshole!" Emily shouted, jumping to her feet. "You chose her! You left me. I wasn't the one who walked away, so you don't get to tell me what is the appropriate amount of time of celibacy and you definitely don't get to judge who I date."

Derek shook his head, "Really mature, Em. It is about time you start taking responsibility for-"

"You wanna talk about responsibility?" She interrupted. "You ran away from your wife, the minute things got hard."

"You have no right to-"

"I have no right to what?" Emily stopped him. "Talk about your marriage? Then guess what, you have no fucking right to talk to me about who I bed. You have a wife, and the minute you chose her over me you lost the right to be jealous."