Chapter 25

Skylar~

Another Monday, and another school day. Summer really needed to show up, I can't deal with school for another two months. I've put up a good fight, but my journey ends here.

I don't mean to be dramatic, or maybe I do. The last couple months at Highgate are nothing short of hell. The teachers go crazy. Since we end earlier than many schools, we have to cram in extra topics in subjects in a short span of time.

You'd think after ten plus years, the school board would realize that we have to go through things in a quicker pace all year, so by the end no one is as stressed. I was especially nervous for math, and French. I didn't suck at the classes, but I wouldn't say they're my strong suit.

The only reason I'm worried about French is because after having Madame Dumas for two years in a row, I've learned that whenever she gets stressed about getting things done, she speed talks in French and assigns a bunch of work to get us through. I can definitely speak a great deal of French, but I don't think any native speaker could understand the things she says during the 'no pace' months. And math... well I think that speaks for itself.

I sat in History when Atlas walked into the room holding an ice coffee from Dunkin' Donuts. I looked at him blankly and he rolled his eyes, passing the drink to my desk. I blew him a kiss and started downing it, all I could hope for is that the topics we were covering in this class wouldn't be super long, and wouldn't have a lot of work.

But of course, it wasn't what I'd wished for at all. I don't even want to get into the details of what we were assigned, but as soon as I got home that day, I dropped my heavy loaded backpack on the floor and flopped on my bed. I was so comfortable, I didn't want to think about anything.

I ignored alarms, phone calls, text message dings, nothing bothered me enough to get off my bed... except the way the overhead fan kept squeaking. I forced myself up to change the setting on the fan so that it'd stop squeaking so much and decided to take the chance and look at my phone. There were a couple missed FaceTimes from my friends, probably asking about the assignment. And it was no surprise that Atlas hadn't called or anything... he must have been busy with his A+ project.

The next couple weeks went by slowly, 'no pace' month always has a desire to screw up my sleep schedule more than it already is. I'm always grateful that we don't have much to do in Mr. Dobers class though. It's usually a quick page of music or something and then we have the rest of class to catch up on whatever else we need to. And I understand that he meant school work wise, but I take his words quite literally and decide to catch up on my sleep.

"Head up." Atlas whispered next to me in math. I slumped up from my desk and leaned my head on my arm for support. I looked at him tiredly only to find his face beaming with energy.

"Fuck you. Honestly, I'm so done." I wanted to destroy everything. I was happy for him, for not having to feel the way I do, with stress and loss of sleep... but I was also insanely jealous.

"Okay fine, fuck you too. I only wanted to save you from getting called out by the teacher." He said whispering harshly with furrowed brows. I almost laughed, I liked how we still showed anger at each other, and that we didn't just switch up into some super lovey dovey relationship, regardless of how nice it seemed. His expression softened, "And I also wanted to invite you over, so that I could help you with your work. I know yesterday morning had you screwed up."

I wanted to hug him in the middle of the lesson, I nodded with a slight smile and turned toward the white board, only to see a bunch of gibberish equations that I knew I'd never understand. Atlas just decided to add it to the list of things to go over later.