Bother

"Psst... psst!"

Xiao clicked his pen, doing the math on his scratch paper. He was ignoring any outside interaction.

"Xiao!"

He tapped the pen on his desk, clicking it as he read the word problems. He knew the answer. He just had to think a little.

"Xiaaaaoooooo..."

Carefully writing down the answer, Xiao dragged his pen across the math bingo, completing his answer. He stood up from the chair and walked to the front of the class, placing the paper in the turn-in bin. He picked up another piece of paper and walked back to his seat. He sat down and began working.

The desk table next to him scooted closer to his, creating a loud dragging noise. Xiao attempted to ignore it.

"Xiao."

The person next to him poked his arm. This finally caught his attention.

Xiao turned his head and looked at Kaeya with a blank stare.

"Xiao, it seems you need my help," Kaeya randomly whispered.

Xiao did not respond.

"Clearly, you've never had a crush before Venti so I must help you get him to like you back!" Kaeya smirked, "Despite your protests, I am keen on getting people together."

"As if you told Albedo you like him," Xiao replied.

Kaeya went red. "This isn't about me... Xiao. But how did you..."

"My intuition succeeds others," Xiao said.

Kaeya frowned, "This..."

Xiao moved his attention back to his paper.

"How much do you know about Venti?" Kaeya asked Xiao.

Xiao ignored the boy.

"Xiao, cooperating is going to make this much easier for you," Kaeya smiled, "Come on. You just—"

"Kaeya! Stop disturbing your classmates!" Mrs. Jean spoke up, disrupting the quiet flow the class had displayed.

Kaeya went white, moving back into his desk for comfort.

Xiao almost smiled.

-

"Hello."

Xiao let out a sigh as he walked down the hall. Kaeya hadn't left him alone and was now following him everywhere. He would never know why Kaeya was so obsessed with him having a supposed crush on Venti.

He did not. Xiao only wanted to hear his music.

"I didn't know you were so closed off," Kaeya told him. Xiao tensed up as the blue-nette continued, "Specifically about admitting your crushes."

"I do not have a crush on Venti," Xiao snapped. He was getting more and more uncomfortable by the second.

"Then why did you keep on looking at him during lunch?"

"I heard him play—"

"HIIIII!" said a random voice, interrupting Xiao's sentence.

The boys paused their walking to see who was talking to them. Awkwardly enough, the person in front of them was the boy they were talking about.

"Venti, what a surprise!" Kaeya smiled. "Do you need something?"

Venti's hands were behind his back as he let out a giant smile. He giggled. "Yes, I do actually!" Venti leaned in close to Xiao. "I was wondering, can I talk to you? In private?"

Xiao nodded.

"Alright! See you Kaeya!" Venti waved at the blue haired boy before taking Xiao's hand and dragging him off to an empty classroom.

Venti shoved the door closed. He ran to the window and shut the blinds. The room was almost completely dark, only to lighten up once Xiao flicked on the lights.

Venti let out a sigh, covering his face with his hands.

Xiao stood patiently, waiting for Venti to talk.

"So..." Venti took a deep breath. He crossed his arms. "Who are you?"

Xiao hesitated. "Xiao."

"Understood!" Venti smiled, "I'm Venti."

Xiao nodded, "I know."

Venti went white. "You know?"

"Kaeya told me your name."

"Oh," Venti paused, "Okay then. I guess I'll just cut to the chase." Venti cleared his throat, "Please don't tell anyone about the flute."

Xiao titled his head.

"It's a secret and I don't want anyone to know..." Venti took a breath, "Please."

Xiao nodded. "Okay."

Venti looked up into Xiao's eyes. "Wait. Seriously?"

"Yes."

Venti smiled. "You're not going to threaten the bard, right? Not going to pull that 'I'll tell everyone unless you do this for me'?"

Xiao took a moment. "Can I request something?"

Venti sunk. He was going to ask for something after all. "What?"

"Can you play me another song?"

Venti let his mouth open slightly. He closed it immediately before opening it again. It was almost as if he didn't know what to say.

"Wh-what?" Venti finally said.

"I liked it. The song," Xiao clarified. "Can you play me another?"

Venti's hair fell onto his face, a smirk filling his lips. "That's all?"

"Yes."

"You think my songs are that good?" Venti smiled. "Eh-heh. I should have known. I'm the best musician in the city of Teyvat!"

"You are," Xiao answered honestly.

Venti froze. His cheeks went red as he heard those words slip from Xiao's mouth.

"Ex-excuse—huh?" Venti swallowed harshly. "You—you think so?"

Xiao nodded, "You play it clearly and it's relaxing to the ears. I enjoy it."

The braided boy smiled, "Thank you."

"But I do think people should know," Xiao suddenly said.

Venti frowned, "No," Venti shook his head. "No. No one can know. You may think that it's good but my friends won't. My other classmates won't. You can't tell anyone. No one. Ever."

"You have bad friends then."

Venti snapped his head to look directly into Xiao's eyes. "Excuse me?"

"If they won't support you then they aren't good friends," Xiao repeated.

Venti took a breath. "Just... don't tell anyone."

"Will you play me music?"

Venti put out his hand, extending his pinky outwards. "Pinky swear?"

Xiao paused, looking at the small finger pointed at him. He hesitated before hooking his own pinky around Venti's. They shook.