Alone

Xiao decided leaving Venti alone would be the best decision. Venti wanted to be left alone after all, and it wasn't like they were dating. Not anymore at least. Xiao moved to cross his arms over his chest, closing his eyes. He took a shaky breath. This was not a fun break up.

There was a knock on his bedroom door. Xiao opened his eyes, turning his head to look towards the noise. He watched as his sister, Hu Tao, opened the door. She had a carton of mint ice cream and two spoons in her hands. His sister made her way towards him, sitting down right in front of his bed. She glanced into his direction, holding the ice cream up.

"I brought you something to eat," she smiled.

Xiao turned his head to look back up at the ceiling. It was plain and empty. Somehow he related with the way his room was. A room is to reflect on one's mind, is it not?

"I'm not hungry," Xiao lied. Not even a second later his stomach growled.

Hu pulled the ice cream down to her lap, frowning as she rolled her eyes. "As hungry as a zombie is for braaaaains!" Hu brought her hands up, widening her smile to give off a creepy vibe.

Xiao made no reaction. Hu pulled her hands down, finding their way to the lid of the ice cream container. She let out a sigh.

"Listen," she opened up the ice cream. "I know you're going through post-breakup depression but it's not good to close yourself off." Xiao's shoulders tensed. Hu put a spoon into the ice cream. "You need to let yourself feel emotions. You were like this when Tina broke up with you, don't be like this again." She scooped the ice cream in her spoon, turning it around so the handle points at her brother. "Now, please. Come eat ice cream with me? It's freezing."

Xiao shook his head. He took a deep inhale of air before getting down and sitting right up on his bed, in front of his sister. He took the spoon from her hand, eating it.

"Is this mint?" Xiao asked.

Hu rocked herself side to side, getting herself her own spoonful of ice cream.

"Yes," she hummed. "Been a while, hasn't it?"

Xiao leaned over, scooping more of the dessert. He nodded.

Hu smiled, looking down at the bucket. She paused her eating, letting out a small laugh.

"Dad would always bring us to those ice cream shops, remember?" she wondered. "Papa would always say that we should get the mint ice cream because we could share his memories. Remember that? Dad was always like 'aren't I enough?' and Papa would be like 'bitch no you aren't' and–" Hu giggled. "We would always be there and eat our mint chocolate chip ice cream in the corner because Dad wanted us to enjoy it." She looked up at her brother, softening her gaze. "I hated mint."

Xiao was silent.

Hu always recalled those happy times. Xiao and her would be sitting in the ice cream booths, the ones with the cushioned car seat type seats. Hu would always be eating the ice cream, continuously spitting it out because she hated the flavor. Xiao, on the other hand, would be eating it happily. He'd kick his legs around, bouncing in his chair. He loved mint. It was his comfort food.

Xiao remembered this time as well as his sister, he just didn't want to speak. It was too difficult. Though, mint did make it a little easier.

"Why are you eating it then?" Xiao questioned. "You hate mint."

Hu shrugged. "I don't want you to be alone." She paused. "And I think you'd hate me if I brought in cherry ice cream, you cherry hater."

Xiao smiled. "Cherries taste bad."