Bedtime

Venti takes the metal instrument away from his lips, finishing off his song with a rest. He takes a breath and cocks his head to the left to pop his neck, a gasp escaping his mouth at the gesture. Venti's eyes glanced down at the flute, his fingers tracing the keys. He lifts his hand away and begins taking it apart, using a soft cloth on a stick to clean his spit from the inside. Venti opens the flute case and begins placing the pieces in, closing it shut as he finishes.

Venti takes a breath and releases the oxygen inside his lungs, along with his worries.

In a sudden moment, there was a ding from his phone. Venti immediately shoved the flute case off his lap and gripped tightly onto his phone. He pulled his legs up onto his bed, leaning into the blankets as he read the message from his lover.

Hello

It was odd how just one simple word could make Venti's entire body shiver. How a little giggle escaped his mouth as he read it. If anyone else had sent the text Venti wouldn't be smiling this much. Xiao wasn't anyone else though, Xiao was his boyfriend.

Venti quickly typed out a message.

hihihi

What are you doing?

Venti glanced around his room. There was a few records on the floor, his bed was unmade. There was a partially empty bowl of chow mein from two days ago on his desk. His desk was filled with random scribbles in music notes. Venti stuck his tongue out.

Nothin

Venti watched as Xiao typed and untyped his message multiple times in a row. Venti frowned and turned off his phone, setting it to the side of him. He set his hands on his stomach, looking up at the ceiling as he waited for him to answer.

After a few moments of silence Venti picked up his phone and noticed Xiao never replied. He wasn't even typing at all anymore. Venti sighed and began typing for him.

What about chu? He added the eyes emoji.

Also nothing, Xiao replied. Another message sent soon after.

I miss you.

Venti's face heated up at the sight of the message. How could he say that without melting?

Awe, you do?

Of course.

Venti smacked his phone onto his forehead three times in frustration. The smooth talking was going to be the end of him. Venti took a breath and kicked his feet onto his bed. He wanted to scream.

Wanna come overrrr?

Venti sent the message before he could even process it. This was a mistake. If Xiao said yes then he'd have to clean his room. But it was family game night for Xiao so it was most likely a no.

I can't. I'm sorry.

Though Venti knew the answer it still hurt. Man, having a partner sucks.

It's okaaaay, Venti typed, but before he could send it Xiao sent a photo of his parents. Childe's head was smacked onto the table. Zhongli was counting up all the Monopoly money he had just collected, presumably from his husband who was dying. Xiao had a peace sign in the frame. He had long fingers, but chipped, black nail polish on his short nails. 

Venti could just tell how chaotic the family game nights were. How Xiao came out sane he would never know.

Is there anything interesting you'd like to talk about? Xiao asked.

Venti thought about it. There were a few things he could bring up. He could bring up how he went to a coffee shop to meet up with his friends, but they forgot to mention it was a cat café. Poor Venti was sneezing the whole time due to his allergies.

Or maybe he could talk about how he had gone to the pride club, perhaps he could invite Xiao as well.

I joined a cluuub

Xiao waited a second before replying; Oh. What's the club?

Venti laid down onto his bed, moving a book to the side with his foot. He turned to the side, tying his message.

Pride club. Do you know Hu Tao? She's the president! She's pretty nice. Everyone is. You should join. Venti paused a moment before adding the last bit to his message and sending. Tee hee. 

Venti pulled his pillow down into a forty-five degree angle, letting it wrinkle up to create more cushioning. He rubbed his face into the pillow. It was soft.

Oh. Okay.

Venti stuck his tongue out. Xiao went along with everything.

He fiddled with his fingers. Thoughts began creeping into his head, making his heart race, and his breath speed up. Venti put his hands on his face and took a few deep breaths.

Stop it, he told himself. Stop doing this.

Venti took one last breath and clicked his phone on. He smiled at the sight of his lock screen. Him hugging Xiao close, Xiao holding his hand, a small smile on his face. Venti was kissing Xiao's neck. Venti let the tears trail down his face at the sight of his lock screen.

He pushed himself off his bed and put his phone into his back pants pocket. "It's okay," He told himself as he rubbed the tears away from his face.

Man, he really did need a hug.