Family

Xiao unlocked the front door to his house, pushing the door open. A sudden whiff of smoke struck his nose making him stare forward. He shut the door behind him, running towards the smoke. When he made it into the kitchen he froze.

A ginger haired man glanced at the brunette, watching the man repeatedly hit the stove with an oven-mitt.

"Hi, Xiao! Lovely to have you back!" The ginger told his son.

Xiao dropped his head to his chest. "You scared me."

The ginger widened his eyes, pouring a cup of water onto the fire. A gust of smoke went through the air before slowly depleting.

"Sorry, I tried to cook," his dad smiled innocently, acting as if he didn't almost burn down the kitchen.

"Perhaps, do not do that again," his papa spoke. He turned around with a frown, his long brown hair tied in a ponytail.

"Oh, please," dad started, "you know you like my cooking."

"You might murder us, Childe," papa told the other.

Childe just smiled, "Putting those murder documentaries to good use then!"

Papa chuckled, smiling at the remark.

He then looked at his son, "Xiao, how was school?"

Xiao put his elbow on the dining table, leaning his cheek into his open hand. "It was... tolerable."

"Oh no," Childe frowned, "Something happened. I know that tone. What happened?"

Xiao shrugged. His papa moved over to sit next to him, staring at him intently. To any other child this would make them uncomfortable, but to Xiao, this was normal. Not a shiver was shed.

"Do I need to hurt someone?" Childe smiled, his hand hovering over the knives.

"No," Xiao replied. Childe let his hand fall to his hip.

"What happened?"

Xiao licked his lips. "Venti sat with us at--"

"Oh? Who's Venti?" Childe interrupted.

"My classmate." Xiao scowled at his dad. Childe sweat slightly, smiling with a little chuckle. "My... friends think he has a crush on me."

His papa laced his fingers together on the table. He waited for the issue.

"He gave me his number and I go to his house after school every day," Xiao continued. Childe sat down in front of his son, smiling, copying the sitting position Xiao was in. "I didn't think it was romantic intent."

"Maybe it isn't," papa says. Xiao looked at his papa. "Perhaps they're overthinking this. It could be a close friendship."

"Do friends blush around you?" Xiao asked.

Childe straightened, his head lifting off his hand as he and his husband went quiet.

"So that's a no," Xiao sighed.

"Friends don't usually... blush," papa pulled his hands to his face, leaning his forehead into them.

"Do you like Venti?" Childe asked.

Xiao hesitated. "It's a hypothetical situation."

"Mhmm..." Childe hummed.

"Childe," papa looked at his husband.

"Zhongli," Childe replied, a smirk on his lips.

"Code 17 Popcorn Cookies 'n Cream," Zhongli said.

Childe nodded, "Agreed."

Xiao looked up at his dads, a confused look on his face. "What is this Code 17 Popcorn... Cookie Cream...?" (my question exactly -editor)

Childe smiled at his son. "Nothing, dear. Go to your room, we're ordering pizza tonight."

Xiao sat up, walking up the stairs. What a weird night.