Who

Venti leaned his back on his locker, scrolling through Instagram for the sense of finding an interesting song to learn. He loved learning songs to play on the flute, or the lyre. In fact, any instrument really. Musician for you.

But he was interrupted. A girl with long brown hair tied in two high pony tails tapped his shoulder. She had a smile on, but her eyes were slanted at him, as if she had something malicious to say. Venti knew who she was.

"Excuse me?" She began speaking, "I am Hu Tao, president of the Pride Club! I was interested, are you and Xiao truly dating?"

Venti's heart sank. "What?" 

"Aiya," Hu put a hand on her hip, "I mean, there's rumors you two are dating. There's no issue to something like that. We all have our quirks."

Venti stared at her. Did everyone know what he did in the car? With Xiao? Did their kiss get on social media? What was she talking about? And why did she say it so weirdly?

"Rumors? I wasn't aware there were rumors," Venti forced a smile, keeping his composure.

Hu widened her eyes. "Oh? What a shame. I guess they weren't reliable after all. I do need better sources after this.." She pulled out a card that had a rainbow on it. "Well, if you are willing to become a client then please do join us at the Pride Club! For new members, we give out free cupcakes and you get to choose a new activity! See you!"

Venti held the card loosely in his hand as he watched the girl walk away. He didn't know what to say. She was a weird one.

But what she said struck him in the heart. Did everyone think Xiao and him were dating? What was happening? Why do people think that?

Venti stared at the ground, stared at the card. He thought about last night. The kiss. The way he felt. He hadn't told anyone about that. He didn't want to, not yet. He was scared. But people thought they were dating...

Did Xiao only kiss him because it was relevant? Did he only kiss him so then everyone would treat him better? Did they treat him badly? Is that the only reason this whole thing was happening? Was this all just a game? Did Xiao even think of him as a friend? Was this fake? 

Venti felt his hands begin to shake. He didn't like doing this at school but he felt like he had no choice. It was the only way he could calm down.

-

Venti's hands laid on the piano, playing The Story by Conan Gray. He felt his nerves relax, his heart race slow down. Until finally, as he played the last bit of the song, he could breathe. 

"You have no care if people hear you, do you?"

Venti glanced behind him, looking his friend in the eye. He let out a small smile.

"It's just you," Venti let out a sigh of relief. "I don't think I want anyone else to hear me."

Xiao stared at Venti for a moment before walking up and sitting next to him. He looked at him carefully before locking his lips with Venti's. Venti froze up for a moment before relaxing inti his body. Xiao pulled out of the kiss and tilted his head questioningly.

"Why do I feel like you feel worse than normal?" Xiao asked.

Venti let out a nervous laugh. "It's nothing," Venti cleared his throat. "I just feel... nervous about playing an instrument in school, is all. Nothing to worry about, dear friend."

Xiao stared at Venti with a frown.

"'Friend'?"

"Well, uh, what would I call it?" Venti asked, his hands in his lap.

Xiao blinked, speaking monotonously, "Not friend."

Venti sucked in his lips. "Uhh... acquaintance? Fellow? Buddy? Pal?"

"Boyfriend," Xiao clarified.

Venti went red. "'Boyfriend,'" he repeated. He let out a nervous laugh. "Boyfriend? You? You want to be my boyfriend?"

"It seems me kissing you did not help you realize that. You're still worthless in figuring out my emotions."

Venti let out a hollow laugh. But he paused. Maybe communication was something he had to do.

"Hey," Venti cleared his through. "Did you... tell anyone about what happened yesterday?"

Xiao put his hand on the piano. His finger tips traced the keys. He let out a sigh. "No. Not even Amber."

Venti nodded in reassurance. He didn't tell anyone. "Did you tell anyone we were dating then?"

Xiao glanced at Venti. "I can't do that without knowing if you're okay with that."

Venti's face flushed red. That was not what he was prepared to hear. How dare he find someone respectful. What was this? Was this a joke? No way... He couldn't handle another joke like that.

Venti clasped his hands together. "Are you serious with wanting to be with me or is this just your way of trying to get something out of me?"

Xiao frowned. "What on earth made you think I had other intentions?"

Venti looked up. "Nothing! Nothing! It's just... nothing."

"Clearly not nothing."

"Not yet, I won't say it yet, you know?" Venti smiled. "Anyways. I guess that's a no."

"It's a no," Xiao glared. "Why would you think that?"

Venti shrugged. "Anxiety."

Xiao nodded, "I won't pry. But know I won't ever hurt you."

Venti felt himself relax, "That's always a plus!"

"I'm serious," Xiao turned his body and stared at Venti. Their eyes locked. He didn't have a smile, nor any sense of humor traced in his body language. That's how the boy knew he was serious. Deadly serious. "I won't hurt you. Tell me when something bothers you. I won't take no for an answer on this."

Venti nodded. "Okay."

"Good," Xiao replied. He looked back at the piano. "If you don't want anyone knowing you play instruments, you really shouldn't be playing this in school."

"Why, of course!" Venti laughed. "I know that."

"Yet you still play instruments in school," Xiao rolled his eyes. "Useless."

"What happened to the comforting!?" Venti pouted as he put his hand on his chest, letting out a gasp of fake pain.

Xiao smiled. He stood up from the chair and put out his hand. Venti stared at it for a moment before taking hold and letting Xiao pull him up. They stood there for a moment before walking off. No one let go.

But one thing Venti knew was Hu Tao was definitely going to be confused.