3 Years Later

Xiao opened the door to the cafe, a whiff of coffee grounds hitting his senses. He made his way to the back of the room, a round table with two people, a girl and a boy, sitting down.

The girl had dark brown skin, her brown curls tied into two high ponytails. She had golden irises, and a red stripe in the middle of her bangs. She was wearing a black Polyphia graphic tee, a pair of light blue ripped jeans and a black choker. Her nails were painted black, only showcased through her fingerless fishnet gloves. The girl had black and red eyeliner, a semi-thin cat-eye lining, lips a rosewood shade.

The boy had pale skin, and white hair, a thick stripe of red dyed the right of his bangs. His brown eyes had been damaged, giving him red irises, not coincidentally matching the stripe in his hair. The boy always had contacts in, avoiding the use of glasses any time he could. He was wearing a red scarf, a white shirt under his autumn leaves kimono. His jeans were brown and loose, matching his shawl.

"Heya, Xiao!" the girl cheered, her voice heavy withhad a southern accent. "Nice to see yaou!"
The boy looked at Xiao, waving his left hand as a welcoming gesture. "Hi."

Xiao sat down next to the boy, pulling out his laptop. He began typing down his Chinese essay once the screen had loaded, hoping to finish it quickly.

"Have you not finished your homework?" the other boy asked, politely sipping his cup of vanilla coffee.

Xiao shook his head. "I forgot about it, it's due tomorrow."

The boy shook his head. "That'll do you no good," he sighed. "It's not guaranteed you'll finish your homework in time, Xiao."

The girl leaned over the table, lightly smacking the boy on his free hand. The boy pulled his hand back, whispering a quiet "ow."

"Kazuha," the girl frowned, glaring at her friend,. "That ain't helpful."

Kazuha took a sip of his coffee, looking down into it. "Apologies."

Xiao wrote down the last sentence of his homework, closing the laptop and shoving it away. He slouched his back, exhaling his worries. "It's fine, Xinyan."

The girl, Xinyan, smiled, stirring her hot coffee with a spoon. "Alright," she looked back at Kazuha. "I'm watchin' you, detective."

Kazuha huffed a laugh.

Xiao straightened his back, his hands landing in his lap. "You managed to get into law school?"

Kazuha gripped both sides of his drink, grinning happily. "They accepted me," he said. "I wanted to be a poet but perhaps being a detective will do me more good."

Xinyan shook her head. "No, we'll get you to adventure!" she showed her teeth through a smile. "This summer, when we're all free, let's go campin'!"

Kazuha smiled, glancing to the side and, looking at nothing in particular. "Thank you, that's well appreciated."

"Of course!" Xinyan told him. "We're friends, you can chase your dreams with us!"

Kazuha placed his cup on the table, continuing to look away. He tilted his head slightly, clearly noticing something.

"Do either of you know that person over there?" Kazuha asked.

Xiao's eyes followed where Kazuha had been looking. His attention locked the moment he noticed a familiar face.

His short black hair, long in the front with faded blue. He was wearing a white collared shirt, a beige long sleeved sweater on top. His under shirt was poking under his sweater, a pair of matching beige khaki shorts with him. He had a weird looking black bag on his back. He was looking straight at Xiao, immediately snapping his head back to the cashier the moment Xiao had noticed him.