Chapter IV 🦂King Of The Carnival

...take me through the night, fall into the darkside...

-Another dream.' I thought to myself  as my body woke up, but my mind was still fast asleep.
A large part of me misses that day... that opening night. As it seems, that day the Cochran Carnival finally looked as though it might just see some revenue. Some money to be had in the proprietor's pocket -a single silver dime at the least. The least...
On the contrary, it proved to show anything but the fact.

The inky sunrise was cresting the grounds of the Carnival and over the highlight point of the Ferris wheel.
The wonderful sight was a red as my father's jacket. Bits of red bleeding into the orange like rivers of water color on an artist's canvas.

With light on the horizon, The Carnival Of Glass was taking the necessary precautions to conceal its material operations. -My father made that one of the shows doings... one of his goings so as to protect us and preserve the legacy.

As my dream began it's fading exit from my subconscious, the light touched the Round-Up-Ride and spilled over down upon the Tilt-A-Whirl attraction. For an attraction that only operated during the midnight hours, it sure did glow and it even possessed a little spark of life in the wake of the coming sun.
This was The Carnival Of Glass! A Show of magic and spectacles! Anything was possible: the good, the supernatural, the amazing... and yes, I'm dismayed at saying so: even the bad.

I shot up from my place laying on the bed in the inner chamber. Still wrapped amidst the red and gold quilt which became enlaced around me to quickly for me to break free. I fell to the floor abruptly as I observed where one golden fringe of the fabric ended and another one began.
Thank William for my father having at least the rug sprawled across the floorboards. -that could have been an lot more abrasive of a fall. At that happening, I kinda missed the crib. My bed had a back side, and a head and foot board— as did my Father's, but no other rail in the front. Or at least not a full one. Father had modified the crib and made it about two inches longer, but kept the small side rail in the front.

With twelve years (give or take a some few) whisked away, it seems as though I am still not accustomed to sleeping in the inner chamber of the trailer.
See, before I returned home, I had no other choice of where to sleep. -It was plainly and sadly simply so.
Sleeping on the concrete in the basements of the dreaded Kate and Dusty's residence or the evil Alpine and Eia's 'abode' -if you can let calling it that slide, was my only choice.

The light was crawling in through the windows and the other parts of the trailer that were not concealed by a curtain, wall or any other form of a blockage for the light.

As I hobbled to my feet, I began to undo my braids from the night before. I usually slept with them in after the show and when I arose, I would take out the ribbons and unbraid the first and the second so I could brush through my hair. Then later on, my father would braid them again for me and see if he couldn't get ahold of a different color ribbon.
I looked forward to the ribbons and the many colors of them.

As I looked back at the far wall of the chamber, I remembered...

(613 words)