Chapter XVI🦂The Big Tent

Let's take a trip lets get away from it all

(little backstory about this song, my Grandfather William, LOVED Frank Sinatra; so this song goes out to him, in his honor because it was his favorite. Miss you William)

~~~~
Elizabeth's POV

We had reached the center point of Nebraska and had stopped in Omaha for another opening night- hopefully the family would not experience another bum hand. The Cochran Family home on 4025 Izard Street-located within Douglas County, had been the one good hand delt to Marcus and his child— without the  consideration regarding his ex-girlfriend: the elusive Taylor Greens.

With the state of things now, Mr. Cochran hoped this wasn't going to be another one of those 'what ladder did the Cochran's walk under now?' -kind of moments.

Underneath The Big Tent wearing its white and blue stripes proudly, all of us were chomping at the bit. —Horse pun intended.

From the looks of him, Marcus seems to be getting more tense with each tick of his pocket watch.

"Bbrrruhhhb."
He let out a groaning noise as he proceeded to pull his pocket watch from the inner pocket of his blazer.

Tic tic tic tic.
He held it in the shaking palm of his hand.
Tic tic tic tic.

He had the look of annoyance upon his frazzled face, but his actions and mannerisms did not match his facial expression's and those didn't match his emotions. -Quite typical of him.
  I have no doubts that he will tell you his child is just the same... like Father like daughter.

...his daughter— she was still missing...

His pocket watch didn't cease:
Tictictictictictictic.

  Marcus picked up the watch -delicately pinched between two fingers -much like it would explode after the exzessiv ticking. Usually it wasn't noticeable- he'd become used to its echo and could sleep through its racket, just as Maddie could sleep through the clicking from the material mechanisms of the tilt-a-whirl as well as she could rest through her Father and I talking softly in the trailer as she slept only four steps away.

The once familiar and calming noise -like her Father's soft-spoken voice and in his case- the pocket watch, had otherwise become an unsettling and painfully nagging reminder that he had to format a plan. —An operation to get back the only thing that mattered most- his other dream.

"Sir, can you tap into what has happened to Lady Maddie?"
Bartholomew asked trying to keep his emotions in check.

The act was less so for his own sake and more for the sake of his business partner-who was falling apart just the same as he did in 1947 and 1953.
1944 if I might add.
He was so upset and rightfully so. He was on the verge of tears like he was in 1912 when his Father passed away suddenly. Marcus was only  2 years old.

Marcus flipped his curls up onto his head revealing his red eyes and tear streaks that had been left to his cheeks.
He sighed.

"She was taken."
With the way he said it, he had actually surprised himself because he hadn't foreseen he himself just being able to 'rip the bandaid off'' that easily.

"Do those madmen have her again?"
Asked a fuming Charlie.

His lips were pressed together- caked in white face paint.

He hung his head as Charlie clenched his fists in anger and fear. Everyone else was feeling the same as Charlie -me included, because we all knew what Marcus' head hanging low alluded too.
...And It wasn't what any of the seventy-four plus (and counting)  wanted to hear.