Chapter XVIII🦂The Day The Carnival Came To Town

I wish I had another way out...

Marcus POV

Through the dull and dingy lighting of the bar, I looked at The Ink Man.
He hardly moved when he spoke.

"Madison was stolen from me again. We need to find her, but I was hoping you would know where she was."
I said.

"Marcus Cochran, have you not connected with your child in her dreams?"
The Ink Man asked me.

"I have tried. I cannot link anything together and I have no thoughts as to where her whereabouts are."

"She is not with the original ones who took her. I can tell you that much."
The man spoke.

I felt a lump form in my throat.

"Marcus, she isn't with Alphie or Eia."
Added James.

I looked under my arm at James with an empty look.

"You are wasting my time Marcus Cochran, and your own. As for your child, her's is running out. I can tell you that."
Spoke the man standing up.

"Is Madison okay?"
I felt my voice crack.

"I can tell you as much as I have already told you, Marcus Cochran. You are wasting my time."
He said.

I wanted to scream and tell him the same thing. YOU are waisting MY 'time' and my child's time too!

'Time' doesn't exist! This Guy told me that himself!

"Sir, please. I ask you to stick around just a while longer. A few more minutes, please."
I said trying to conceal my worry.

"You of all people should know that time does not exist and minuets are irrelevant." Mr. Ink spoke and looked down to my pocket where I had my watch. "Those numbers will not last, so repeats the past."

I was afraid inside. His words touched a nerve that was not settling back down easily.

"Is my child... okay! Is.. Madison... in danger?!"
I separated my speech to dampen my anger.

"She cannot be away from you any longer. Once the sun goes down, your powers and magic will quickly wear off from her. She will be vulnerable."
He spoke hollowly and without any emotion or shift of his facial expressions and or body mannerisms.

My eyes got wide upon The Ink Man's final decree.

"Please, tell me more! What do I do?! How?"
I was just a little over impatient and frustrated.

"I have already said what I have. This is finished."
He spoke deeply and left.

"Wait!!"
I spoke loudly.
"Bruuhhhhh! No. No."
I folded my hair back atop my head anxiously.

I tried not to scream.

"WE CAME ALL THIS WAY! And we're the ones wasting his time. Bruhhhh. Herrrahhh!"
I mumbled.

"Marcus, see if you can't ... connect with Madison in her dreams. I know you already tried, but what now do we have to loose?"
James suggested.

I looked at him, inhaling through my nose.

"James, we have Madison- we don't have Madison and we have Madison to loose."
I paused so I could still maintain talking civilly to him.

I rubbed my thumb frantically against my index finger to shift my energy and thoughts to something worthwhile.

"Fine. You are right. Fine. FINE."
I told him taking a breath.

I relaxed all my muscles, with the exception of my back and grasped the cane in my left hand. The material of my gloves squeaked as my fingers coiled tighter and tighter around the base of the talisman.
My focus shifted and I closed my eyes.

I thought about Madison...

...darkness. All black and nothing. Just a void.
I felt my breathing slow, almost in a second/nature sort of way.

Madison...
Madison...
All was quiet and James, Harold and Henry recognized that they too should stay quiet.
...

"MADISON!"
I shouted.

I practically started the guys.

"What? What is it?"
Asked Henry.

My chest heaved.
"What? Say something, please!"
Shouted Harold.

"...I found- I see..."
I began.

Harold only half relaxed.

"See what?!"
James leaned in, Henry too followed and I announced tensely:

"This will be the day... The Carnival, comes to town."

"What does that mean exactly, Marcus?"
Harold said in one breath.

And then I told them:

"...Madison. I see our child, I see Madison."

(689 words)