Chapter 21

I could hear the guys in the kitchen, talking in a muffled tone. They had told me to go to my room, but I decided to sit on the stairs. Not knowing what they were talking about was really bothering me.

Why wouldn't they tell me? Why were they being so secretive? These thoughts kept replaying over and over in my head.

After what felt like forever, the voices stopped. I could hear footsteps making their way towards the stairs. My body froze, nervously waiting to see who it was. Surprisingly it was Cal.

He jumped back a little when he saw me sitting there. He probably didn't expect to see me sitting there.

"I thought you were in your room?" He said.

I shrugged, standing up. I started to make my way up the stairs. Cal followed behind me.

"What were you guys talking about?" I asked. I plopped down on my bed. Cal came and sat down on the end of my bed.

"Nothing."

I groaned. "Please tell me. I hate being out of the loop."

Cal gave me a skeptical look. I could tell he wanted to tell me, but he kept quiet. Instead, he said "you'll just have to wait till Mike is home."

I sighed but nodded at his answer.

Cal patted my knee before standing up.

"Cal?" I asked.

He was already at my doorway, but he turned around to face me.

"Yes love?"

"When do you think Mike will officially adopt me?"

He smiled softly. "He's in the process of doing that. He's just having obstacles thrown in his path. But I promise he is going to soon."

I smiled at his answer and nodded.

Cal gave me another smile before he headed out of my room.

I laid back on my bed, wishing Mike was home. I really wanted to know what the deal was. Was it actually that serious?

After a few hours, I heard the front door finally open. I jumped up from my bed and raced down the stairs, tackling Mike into a hug. He laughed, but surprisingly caught me. He hugged me back tightly and kissed the top of my head.

When we pulled apart, I looked up at him.

"What's going on? Why are you guys being secretive?" I asked.

Mike looked at the other guys and sighed. "I guess we should have a family meeting."

The others nodded and we all piled into the living room. I sat down next to Mike with Ashton on my other side. Luke and Cal sat on the other couch.

Mike took a deep breath before he looked at me.

"It's about your dad." He said.

My heart stopped for a moment. My whole body filled with anxiety.

"What about him?" I asked nervously.

Mike looked at the other guys before he looked back at me.

"He's in the hospital and he's really sick. He needs a liver transplant."

I nodded. I was a little confused on where this was going.

"Can't he just get put on the list?" I asked.

Mike shook his head. "No. He's a recovering alcoholic. He has to sober for at least 6 months to even be eligible for the list. He's only a couple weeks sober."

I nodded again. This was the first time in forever that I had heard anything about my dad. Mike and the others have been pretty quiet about him lately.

"Does he have to be on the list to get a transplant?" I asked.

Mike nodded. "Yes. Unless a family member is willing to get tested and donate if they're a match."

My heart sunk. My dad and I didn't have any other family. It was just us after my mom passed.

"He doesn't have anyone. He only has me." I said.

Mike nodded. 

I never wanted to see that man again, but there was a small part of me that wanted to see if I was a match.

"I'll get tested." I said.

Mike gave me a surprised look. He looked taken back. I knew that he wasn't expecting that answer from me.

"Sam honey, you don't have to do that."

I shrugged. "It's the least I can do."

Mike looked at the others, he didn't know what to say.

"I think she should have the decision on if she gets tested or not." Luke said. 

Mike sighed. "If you're really sure on it, then we can test you. Even if you're a match, that doesn't mean you have to donate. You don't even have to see him."

I nodded. I didn't really want to know if I was a match but at the same time maybe this would give me some sort of closure.

"I want to get tested then."