ix. motherly tendencies

evies cabin finally came into view and dahlia almost cheered. it felt like she had been walking forever and harry's arm was still draped over her shoulder. she had tried to shake him off multiple times but he didn't seem to get the hint.

she also would've felt bad yelling at him to leave her alone, so she just settled for sighing loudly and hoping he got the message.

he didn't.

the door to evies cabin opened suddenly and mal sprinted out and straight into bens arms.

"aren't they just the cutest," dahlia whispered to no one in particular.

"we'd be cuter," harry smirked.

harry left her side for a minute or so to check on uma and give her a hug, but then he was right back next to her. dahlia tried to pretend like it didn't bother her but her hands fidgeted and her eyes would look anywhere but at the hooked pirate.

"i'd always knew you'd be part of the solution," ben smiled at uma who gave a bashful smile back.

mal chuckled at bens new look but quickly got back on track, "ok so we all think audrey could be at fairies cottage, but we have no idea where it is. did she ever take you there?"

"only every fairy godmothers day. where is fairy godmother when you need her?" he trailed off looking at jane.

"i wish i knew." jane spoke softly.

dahlia smiled at jane and carlos sitting together and how awkward they were. she couldn't have paired anyone better together.

-

the group had split up again and they were now on their way to fairy godmothers cottage. they approached the building as stealthily as possible. ben barged into the house to find it empty and quiet.

"she's not upstairs," jay came swinging back down the staircase.

there was sudden banging on a door, it sounded like it was coming from the pantry. ben looked inside before opening it to find chad on the ground.

"chad?" dahlias eyebrows furrowed and she looked at the boy in concern.

"i want my mommy." his voice shook and he looked disheveled.

ben reached out to touch chad but he quickly jumped away. dahlia gently pushed past ben and sat next to chad on the floor.

"hey chad," she smiled softly, "can i sing for you? just take my hand and close your eyes. it's ok."

chad took shaky breaths but listened to her, "aubrey's gone. she's gone." he kept repeating.

dahlia shook her head slowly and began singing

"I am the flower of the field, and the lily of the valleys.
I sat down under his shadow, whom I desired: and his fruit was sweet to my palate.
Stay me up with flowers, compass me about with apples: because I languish with love."

she finished with a raspy throat and found chad asleep next to her. she had lulled him to sleep, not intentionally, but at least he wasn't freaking out anymore.

"does anyone have water?" she croaked out, not using to using her singing powers this often in a day.

sam rushed and grabbed her a water bottle and patted her on the head she drank it, "great job goldie."

harry was laughing at chads sleeping figure, out of the trance dahlias singing had put him in.

uma sighed as they left the cottage, "ooh alright. lets get this audrey chick taken care of already."