C H A P T E R 5

I was talking to Connie on the telephone, telling her that I will be sleeping at Banks' house tonight.

"That sucks, I wish she'd let you stay here on mine." She said on the phone.

"I know right?! I'd do anything just to sleep at your house." I replied, leaning against the wall beside me.

"El, come on!" Aunt Tess exclaimed. "I gotta go now Connie, bye love ya," I said before putting the telephone back on the wall, grabbing my things, and rushing downstairs.

"Do I really need to do this?" I frowned as I complained. "Yes, because I don't want you staying home alone, especially at night." She answered, putting on some red lipstick before facing me.

"How do I look?" I pursed my lips as I take a look at her appearance. "You looked pretty." She smiled at my compliment before opening the front door. "Come on, you got your things?" I hummed at her question.

She rang the doorbell as we stood in front of Banks' house, then the woman dressed as a maid opened the door. "Please, come in Mrs. Banks must be waiting for you." She smiled and opened the door wider, then my aunt glanced at me.

"I gotta go now. Be nice, okay?" I just nodded at her, she kissed my forehead before leaving and I went inside the house.

"I'm Adelaide, nice to meet you." I smiled at the maid. "I'm Lori, nice to meet you too Adelaide." Just as she introduced herself, I saw Mrs. Banks coming downstairs.

"Adelaide! I believe we met before but didn't have a chance to introduce myself, I'm Emily Banks." She grinned as she stood in front of me.

"Nice to meet you, Mrs. Banks." I grinned at her as well, and she chuckles. "Please, just call me Em or Emily, Mrs. Banks feels too old." We both laughed.

"Lori, can you show her the room where she'll be staying tonight." Mrs. Banks ordered the maid nicely.

"Of course, ma'am." Lori nodded before guiding me upstairs.

"You'll be staying here miss, dinner will be ready in a few minutes." She says as she opened the door. "Just call me El." She smiled and nodded. "Make yourself at home." She says before going downstairs.

I shut the door behind me as I got inside the room. There was a queen size bed on the right side of the room, and there was a large painting above it, then there was a door on the left side room, I think it was a bathroom, and beside it was a dresser with a mirror, then a single mini couch on the corner.

I put down my things and plopped on the bed, I sighed in comfort before hearing the door open, I glanced up and saw Banks peeking his head at the door.

"Do you not know how to knock?" I say, raising my brows at him, and he rolled his eyes. "It's my house." He retorted. "What if I was changing?"

"Whatever, dinner's ready. "He sighed before leaving, I stood up from the bed and followed him.

As we got to the dining room Mrs. Banks was sitting at the end of the table drinking wine in her wine glass. The table was a little bit longer, then I sat next to her, and Banks sat across from me.

"Alexander!" I raised my eyebrows in confusion as Mrs. Banks called someone, then a boy I'd never seen before came into the dining room.

"Yes, mom?" He says before glancing at me. "Oh, didn't know we had a visitor."

"Sit down, dinner's ready, and meet Adelaide Cromwell, Adam's friend. She'll be staying here for one night." Then the boy approached and stood beside me.

"Nice to meet you, Adelaide, I'm Alexander Banks, Adam's brother." He introduced himself, shaking my hand. "Nice to meet you too." I smiled at him before he walked around the table and sat next to his brother.

Then Mr. Banks came into the dining room dressed in a suit while the other maid was pouring orange juice into our glass.

"Oh, Adelaide! It's nice to see you again." He smiled before sitting at the end of the table across from his wife.

"Hey, honey how's your work?" Mrs. Banks asked his husband.

"Very tiring." He replied before sipping his wine, then the maids started putting the food on the table, and when I tell you, it looks delicious.

"So, Adelaide, I heard you and Adam were the best players on your team," Mrs. Banks says while putting some food on her plate and I did the same, smiling proudly. "I think so, but I'm sure the others are great too."

We kept silent for a moment just enjoying our food until I spoke up. "Can you pass me that food?" I said, pointing to the food in front of Banks, raising his brow at me. "Please." Then he smirked before passing the food to me, and Alex was snickering at our interaction.

"Soo, Adelaide do you have any siblings," Mrs. Banks asked, trying to avoid the tension between Banks and me that was lingering in the air.

"No, but I always wanted one," I replied.

"Trust me you don't," Alex spoke up, playfully pointing his spoon at me.

"Hey!" Banks exclaimed, looking offended, while their mother only shook her head.

"Oh, by the way, Adam told me that you Ducks will be flying to Los Angeles on Friday, right?" I nodded, drinking my orange juice. I already told my aunt that the team will be flying to Los Angeles to represent the USA in the goodwill games, and she agreed to it.

"I'm going to be busy that day, so I'm not gonna be able to take Adam to the airport but you will be," Mrs. Banks said, glancing at Alex who scrunched his face.

"Me? Why can't dad do it?"

"Unfortunately, Alex, I am busy that day as well." His father replied while slicing the meat on his plate with his fork and a small knife.

Alex groaned, slumping down on his chair before muttering a 'fine.'

We kept silent throughout the dinner as we enjoyed our food until we were done and it was time to go to bed, I get up from my chair and thanked them for the dinner before going upstairs.