C H A P T E R 15

Today it was Team U.S.A against Team Germany.

"The referee will forfeit us if he found out no one was coaching us." I worriedly exchanged glances with my friends. Everyone was panicking as Coach Bombay didn't show up which means we were not allowed to play the game without a coach.

The chattering died down as Tibbles spoke up. "Hey, team! Hey, team. We're gonna be great today, right?"

"Not without a coach," I mumbled, rolling my eyes.

"Where's Gordon?" Tibbles asked as he notice our amazing coach was missing by our side.

"You tell us," Mendoza answered in annoyance.

"I don't believe this." Tibbles looked around in disbelief.

Then the referee approached us. "Team U.S.A. I'm sorry but without a coach behind the bench you'll forfeit the game."

"See, I told you!" I yelled in frustration with my hands flying to my side.

"But you can't do that!" Banks protested, scrunching his face at the referee.

Ah, Adam Banks, we haven't spoken to each other ever since the day he kissed me. It became a little awkward, well at least for me.

"We have one!" Conway interjected and then called miss Mackay.

Charlie tried to convince her to be our coach just for a moment so we will not be kicked out, out of this game.

Then as the boy finally convinced her she stood up against the boards. "What are you waitin' for, ice to freeze? Let's play!"

Then we all cheered as the referee nodded at us and began to play.

The team Germany got the puck and make their way to our goal and luckily Goldberg caught it.

Then our opponent became a little bit more aggressive than us, pushing and knocking us down.

"Change it up!" 'Coach' Mackay screamed. I went to the bench with Banks beside me, drinking water.

Then we all shifted our gaze to the quacking sound.

Oh, great look who finally shows up.

He called all the Ducks to the bench to say something I guess. I scrunched my face as he kissed Mackay's cheek, thanking her.

Yeah, no need to do that in front of us coach.

As the team was gathered up he began to speak. "Team." He said before kneeling in front of us. "Guys. I was wrong. And I'm sorry, I forgot about the team and the team is all I have. All I want is another chance. Just one more shot. I'm back. Okay?"

We all exchanged glances, unsure if Coach Bombay was telling the truth. As he noticed our hesitation he spoke up again.

"Believe me. And Cromwell, I'm sorry for saying I was disappointed in you. I was wrong, okay?"

That was enough for us to give him a chance.

"Jesse!" I yelled, passing the puck to him as he skated behind our goal. He looked at us with hesitation and worried in his eyes before calling his team for backup to the flying V.

Soon enough we went behind him and skated toward the opponent's goal while we were led by Jesse Hall.

Then we won against Team Germany as Averman successfully shot the puck in. We all cheered tackling each other in hugs.

Now we were in the locker room, taking our pads off when Coach Bombay suddenly called me.

"What's up, coach?" I noticed his sympathetic stare at me.

"Uh, your aunt called..." He said, not sure if he would continue his sentence.

"What happened?" I asked, feeling uneasy.

"She said your mother was in the hospital now." I felt my stomach drop, not processing his words. "Why she didn't call me?"

"She said she doesn't want to distract you."

"Distract? But that was my mother in the hospital!" I didn't mean to shout but my emotions were getting on me.

"She doesn't want to distract you because she wants you to focus on the game first, El."

"Did she say how long my mother was in the hospital?" I asked.

"Since the day you left for L.A." I breathed heavily, a little mad at Aunt Tessie for not telling me immediately.

I should have known. I was constantly focusing on myself to realize my mother was sick. I mean the way she spoke on the phone call, I should have noticed it right away.

I felt like a bad selfish daughter.

****

I reach for the telephone I found in the hallway to call my aunt. She picked up after it rang for a few seconds.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Aunt Tess," I mumbled.

"El! It's you, how are you do-" She sounded excited but I cut her off.

"Why didn't you tell me immediately that mom was in the hospital?" I know Coach already told me the reason but I still wanted to hear it from her.

"Because if I told you, you wouldn't leave to go to L.A., El. I know playing hockey in the international was your dream, and your mother was the one who told me not to tell you because she wouldn't want to hold you back from pursuing your dream."

I tried to hold back my tears as I listened to her. "I can't lose her too Aunt Tess. After dad..." I couldn't finish my sentence as I choked out from my sobs.

"Shhh, calm down, El. Just promise me you won't let yourself be distracted, okay?" I nodded even though she couldn't see it.

"I promise."

After that our conversation came to end and joined my friends who were sitting outside with Coach Bombay standing in front of them with his cardboard cutout and a metal trash can.

I wiped my tears so my friends wouldn't notice me crying and sat down next to Banks with Averman sitting on the backrest bench. Coach smiled at me in sympathy and then start speaking.

"I've had a lot of big distractions since I've been here in L.A." He grabbed his cardboard cut-out and showed it in front of us.

"This is the distraction." My friends laughed which made me laugh too.

"Nice haircut, Coach."

"Looks familiar. I know that guy."

He lit up the match and then threw it on the barrel. "This is a fire in a barrel."

Then Hans, who was standing beside miss Mackay, gave Coach Bombay's cardboard cutout to him then put it in on the barrel with fire on it.

"This is a distraction in a fire in a barrel. Any questions?"

We all started clapping and cheering at him, proud that the coach we knew was back, not some guy that wears a suit with slick back hair.

Then I shifted my gaze to the boy who was sitting next to me as I felt his stare.

We made eye contact, he was staring deeply into my eyes as if he was trying to read me like a book.

I suddenly broke our contact before I get lost in his ocean eyes.

Maybe he noticed I was crying.