C H A P T E R 22

We all returned to the locker room to take a break from the game.

Banks and Mendoza were having a conversation while I was standing next to Conway.

I moved my focus to Banks, who was showing Mendoza his wrist. I paused for a while before approaching him, but I came to a halt when my shoulder was lightly tapped. When I turned around, Conway was awkwardly standing in front of me.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Oh, just wanted to check on you; it looks like your thoughts were eating you up," he said, looking at me with concern.

I only recently recognized that I had lost my affections for him, and I hadn't realized it because I was too preoccupied with Banks.

I sighed and looked down. " Yeah, I'm fine. It's just... A lot has happened these past few days, especially my-" I paused, not wanting them to know of my mother's situation yet, and thankfully Charlie nodded in understanding.

"If you ever need someone, I'm always here," he said, patting my shoulder.

I smiled then Bombay walked into the locker room. "Did you all enjoy that?"

"Yeah!" We said with glee.

"So did they," Bombay added. "Because they're still three points up and we're one period away from defeat."

We sat down in silence, Jesse speaking up. "If we can't beat them, we might as well keep our pride."

We all agreed with Jesse's statement.

Bombay remained silent for a little period before speaking up. "That's not pride, Jesse. Sure, Dwayne that big oaf and Adelaide embarrassed him, and part of me cheered, but guys, I've been there. I know how you feel."

He then started walking in the middle of us while speaking.

"I wanted to cream that jerk that busted my knee when I played in the minors. And I really, really wanted to go after Stansson for that cheap shot. But you know what? My knee will heal."

As Coach continued his speech, I looked down, Charlie caressing my arms in comfort as he listened intently to our Coach.

"And if I become something I'm not... If I sink to their level." He continued with a shrug. "Well, then, I lost more than my knee. You understand?"

We all murmured a 'Yeah.' still unmotivated. Coach remained silent as he returned to his previous spot before continuing.

"We're not goons. We're not bullies." 

I chuckled and looked at Banks, who looked back at me, his lips pressed together as he remembered something.

"No matter what people say or do... We have to be ourselves." He stated before pointing at the other Bash Brother. "You. Who are you?"

Dean looked at Fulton in confusion, but he responded anyway. "Dean Portman."

"From where?"

"Chicago, Illinois," Dean said. Coach then pointed to Connie's boyfriend next.

"Guy Germaine."

"From where?" 

"From St. Paul, Minnesota."

He then pointed to Jesse next. "You."

"Jesse Hall from Minneapolis, Minnesota."

"Who are you?" Bombay asked as he pointed at the blonde girl who was sitting next to Banks.

"Julie Gaffney from Bangor, Maine."

Luis then stood up as Coach pointed at him. 

"Luis Mendoza. Miami, Florida." He smiled proudly.

We then began standing up one by one, proudly saying our names.

"Greg Goldberg. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania."

"Les Averman. Brooklyn Park, Minnesota." The ginger boy said, standing up next to Goldberg.

"Fulton Reed. Stillwater, Minnesota."

"That's right!" Dean exclaimed as he triumphantly stood up.

 "Russ Tyler. South Central Los Angeles."

Charlie then rose from beside me. "Charlie Conway. Minneapolis, Minnesota."

I beamed before standing up as well.

"Adelaide Cromwell. Edina, Minnesota."

"Ken Wu. San Francisco, California."

My best friend then stood up as well. "Connie Moreau. Minneapolis, Minnesota."

"Adam Banks. Edina, Minnesota." The blond boy remarked before winking at me. I giggled and shook my head slightly as I stared at him.

"Dwayne Robertson. Austin, Texas."

"Michele MacKay. Duluth, Minnesota."

Then Coach Bombay was the last one. "And I'm Gordon Bombay. Minneapolis, Minnesota."

We all cheered as Coach's motivation lifted our spirits.

"We're Team U.S.A., gathered from all across America. And we're gonna stick together. You know why?" Bombay said, but Hans cut him off as he entered the locker room.

"Because we are Ducks. And Ducks fly together."

"That's right, Hans," he replied as he stood next to him. "And just when you think they're about to break apart--"

"Ducks fly together!" We all chanted at the same time. Then Miss MacKay spoke up. "And when the wind blows hard, and the sky is black--"

"And when the roosters are crowing, and the cows are spinning circles in the pasture--"

We all exchanged glances in reaction to Dwayne's strange statement but continued.

"Ducks fly together!"

"And when everyone says it can't be done... Ducks fly together." Bombay said, followed by Hans.

"Now, new Ducks... and old Ducks must unite under a new banner. And I thought perhaps something like this." He remarked before displaying a new Duck jersey to us.

We all exchanged glances before collecting our jerseys, my mouth gaping as I glanced at the new white Duck jersey.