Chapter 18: Scares

AN: Thank you for reading this book, you beautiful trades you. And also for being patient. Unfortunately we are not near the ending yet, but we're getting there.

TW: very slight scare
_________________________________________

(Third POV)

As the Four Great Adventurers, as they called themselves -Ok only Bill called them that, the others refused- travelled throughout the dark night on a dark trail through a dark forest with only their lanterns lighting the way, they came closer to the Demon Kingdom's border.

It is said that men who past it without payment on them are taken not by demons but by angered spirits and change you forever~~ oh~~ [insert scary ghost noises].

Of course our only witness to tell this tell was a drunk, and was often known for making up tales to get attention... and had gone through a really bad breakup........ and coincidentally he described the ghosts as looking like his ex....... and then accused that person of witchcraft based on this......... and maybe isn't the most trustworthy person to believe. Either way: spooky border that no one likes.

Bill was trying to figure out how to get closer to Dipper before their journey ended. He actually listened to Wills advice and avoided using any couple from tales that apparently don't end. It's not like that's going to jinx us or anything thought Bill.

So instead Bill decided the next best thing was to scare Dipper with ghost stories. Because isn't that how all couples in the woods flirt?

Jeez where's Will when you need him. Oh yeah, Will was asleep in the cart next to Mabel because leaving Bill alone with Dipper is definitely a good idea.

"Some say that to this day if you cross the border without payment to the other side, you will be changed forever by the spirits and only bad fortune will follow you~~~" Bill held the lantern under his head for dramatic effect. Dipper pretended to look scared.

"And what reliable source do you have that said this?" Dipper said smiling slightly.

God did he have a cute smile thought Bill. Bill also noticed how during his horrible ghost story Dipper was  pretending to be scared just to be nice. How sweet.

"Come on, who needs reliable sources?"

"I highly doubt this story was true. Especially the earlier part where you claimed that anyone who passed needs a person to claim to be your lover so the spirits don't accidentally take you and then---"

"Ok! Maybe that part was made up. But I'm sure the source for this story is accurate. And I swear almost ever other parts was not made up" Bill swore over dramatically with a hand on his puffed out chest.

"Your so silly" Dipper loved that about Bill, of course he would confess that out loud.

"Well you're the one who pretends to be scared when I tell a ghost story" Bill pouted.

"Maybe I just don't scare easily"

"Yeah right! I'm positive you're the scared twin, Pinetree"

"Not true!"

"Oh really~..... Hey... what was that?" Bill looked behind Dipper at the woods covering that side of the pathway.

"What was what?"

"That... Sound" Bill was quiet... Almost scared.

"I didn't hear anything. Must've been the wind or your imagination"

"I heard it again. Somethings out there"

"Hah, nice try Bill. Can't scare me that easily" but Dipper stayed close to Bill just in case.